Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, March 30, 2009

How do I get so confused?

For the past week or so I have been thinking I have to leave here on a Wednesday. I also know I have to leave on the 2nd of April, which only last night I discovered falls on a Thursday. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me to quit thinking about when I will leave, and just enjoy the time I am here?

And now for a little about horses. I have given up on attending the harness races here because, for one thing, they are held on Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoon and evenings, and I've run out of those. A few people have asked me about sulky racing, so here is a bit of information.

A sulky is a two wheeled cart that the driver rides in when he races a harness horse. Standardbred horses's have two gaits: trot which means that the left front foot and the right rear foot are on the ground at the same time - obviously the opposite feet take a turn. A second gait is pace: the horse's two right feet are on the ground at the same time and the two left feet are on the ground at the same time.

If you were riding a horse, the trot gait is bumpy but the pace gait is like sitting in a rocking chair. The pace gait was developed by the army of Alexander the Great so that his cavalry could attack holding their lance without moving up and down (so the story goes).

All I know is that they sure look beautiful when they run, but then all horses are beautiful. There is something about the horse pulling a sulky - something in his posture and the way he holds his head up high - that makes him look regal.

I may have mentioned that I bought another corned beef (after St. Patrick's Day) because I wasn't yet tired of it. I put it in the slow cooker before I went to bed last night. I had to get up in the middle of the night, and the aroma of the beef cooking filled the rig. I had a hard time going back to sleep - the aroma was making me hungry, and the wind was buffeting my poor 5ver something awful. There also was a window shade or something rattling, and I got up several times to try to identify the culprit. I never did find the source of the irritating noise, but finally went back to sleep.

Here are a couple pictures of my grandsons, Joshua and Justin, who live in New York.


3 comments:

  1. I love the smile on the little one in the bottom photo-kind of devilish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boys are cuties. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Gypsy, quite horsing around and hit the road. Nice Fam. All the Best, Michael & Christi

    ReplyDelete