Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Deja vu

That's what I felt as we were speeding to the hospital emergency room last night - this time for my granddaughter Arianna, who had an allergic reaction.  Jeannie, the girls and I had been to the gym (the kids have their own playroom with attendants at the gym).  As we were leaving I noticed some yummy looking protein bars spread across the counter, and selected three of them.  We looked carefully at the ingredients listed on the package - Arianna can eat peanuts and almonds but is terribly allergic to most other kinds of nuts.  Autumn wanted the chocolate chip cookie dough protein bar from behind the counter and it missed Jeannie's scrutiny.  Can you believe it contained cashews?  Everyone had a different kind of bar and traded little bites to the others - Arianna only got a tiny little piece of the offending bar but it was enough.

By the time we got back to Jeannie's house Arianna was getting sick and crying but couldn't explain what was wrong.  Donald insisted we take her to emergency, so we piled into the van, and he drove the 10-15 miles or so like a race car driver.  The end result is that she got sick a couple of times and they kept her in the emergency room for observation for a while, then gave her some benadryl and sent her home.  Today she is back to her normal cheerful self.

The protein bar I had was just so-so, but it is good after an intense workout to build muscle.  I am finding that most high protein post workout products have a bit of a gritty, sawdust texture.  I like my shakes the best, but even they tend to have a slight gritty feel.  Last night I did the most strenuous workout since my hospitalization, and am determined to ramp it up each time I go.

I was up and ready to go to the farmers' market this morning - didn't get much except green vegetables and decided to buy a few avocados.  My doctor had recommended I add avocado slices to sandwiches for extra calories and nutrition.  I'm getting my appetite back which makes me hopeful although I'm not expecting miracles.

Spent 2 or 3 hours cruising the aisles of Costco (crowded with pre-Super Bowl shoppers, but loaded with food samples tables), and then Target for a couple of items.  Costco had some dynamite sales and it was difficult to pass some of them by, but I only bought what I needed.

I am really tired tonight and will probably be asleep soon.  It's only a little after 6 pm - can't go to bed this early! 

10 comments:

  1. That is amazing ... to have that kind of reaction to cashews?? Sure glad she's okay... cashews... good lord!

    Avocados are a staple ... good for everyone ... full of the right kind of fat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three hours in Costco and you only bought what you needed? Talk about will power. So glad Arianna is okay. Really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love avocadoes, eat them with my salads. I like them with just a little salt on them and there usually isn't enough left after tasting it for my salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will boost your calorie count. Fried Avacados. Who knew?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9quU5i0D-l4

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got avacado oil last time I was at Costco. So far I really like it. Says on the lable it has the highest smoke point of all oils.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got avacado oil last time I was at Costco. So far I really like it. Says on the lable it has the highest smoke point of all oils.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor kid. I'm surprised their Dr. doesn't prescribe one of those pens filled with meds for her to have on hand all the time. Sure glad she is OK. I have allergies like that but no one could ever pin point the problem.

    Good work out you had and I bet today you maybe a little sore but have more energy as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AVOCADOS RULE! We try to split one every day. They are delicious, filling, and nutritious - what more can one ask?

    This weekend they are five for a dollar at my neighborhood Food City grocery store. See me scoot down there in just a few minutes! ;->

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my on the emergency room visit!!!! glad she is okay now. Wow.. having to watch every label to be careful of never having that happen again.

    I love avocados, though Steve doesn't.... my favorite sub sandwhich from Erberts & Gerberts is called a Boney Billy that has turkey, alfalfa sprouts and mashed avocados as a spread.... yum!!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete