Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, January 8, 2010

My coldest day yet

I worked at the Fort today which has no heat. The HVAC folks have been there but not sure if they have determined a fix yet - the thermostat in the Store registered 60 degrees, although I think it was colder than that in some parts of the room. Maintenance came in first thing and got a blazing fire going, but of course it doesn't stay blazing all day long. I kept it going pretty well and was warm as long as I stayed close to it. Business was extremely light today and I did have a chance to sit in front of the fire for a while.

I don't often feel "down" but I sure did today. Being by myself most of the day, and thinking about the 600 prisoners who were held in a winter such as this, with very little food or clothes, and no coal to provide any heat at all, made it all the worse. And I was COLD!

I came home to find there was a slow drip from my hose connection. I don't know if it is because the L connection was busted and I removed it, or if the RV connection needs to be tightened, but I just disconnected the hose to prevent any further troubles. Then I had to empty the black tank as it was getting full, and the fresh water I used to rinse the tank lowered the level of fresh water available to me. So I had to go back out and add more water to the fresh tank. Whatever the problem the rest of the evening, I just can't bring myself to go back outside.

I work at the Visitors Center tomorrow so I will be warm at least, and with other people around. I may have to rethink what I want to do next winter - potential volunteer sites to look into are all in coastal North & South Carolina, and Georgia, and if this winter is an example of winters to come, then I'm not sure if I can deal with it. I don't want to go to Florida or anywhere on the Gulf Coast, so it doesn't leave me many other possibilities. I'm thinking I would really like to be where temps are from 65 degrees and up!

5 comments:

  1. I hope it will warm up soon so you'll enjoy your time there. Just keep in mind "Spring is just around the corner" Hope you find what you are looking for for next year. Keep your spirit up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you will be following Tioga George to get those temps in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it warms up soon for you,as it should in that part of the country.
    I guess I better stop complaining of all the cloudy,rainy 70 degree days here in southern Mexico,this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gypsy, It was 20* this morning! Brrr What are the reasons for avoiding Florida and the Gulf coast? Looks like you'll have to try Arizona or California next winter. Keep warm, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Gyps...we are in Florida and today the cold and wet is a real downer....but warmer days are coming so hang in there.

    ReplyDelete