Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I feel alive again!

Whatever condition I was sliding into a week or so ago is now gone, and I have my life back again. I am usually optimistic and upbeat, rarely depressed. Even when I'm complaining about something, as I often do, it's with a passion for things being right and the way things should be. I think the "bacon incident" was the kicker, when I decided to laugh about it. Of course, the results of the "incident" may be longer lasting and farther reaching than I'd like, but I'll deal with that when it gets here. Today I feel overwhelmed by the good things in my life, the beauty all around me, and the fact that I am lucky enough to be here at Fort Pulaski.

I drove over to Whitemarsh Island today to do some errands, with Lady in the co-pilot seat. I find that it is relatively easy to get around, but of course I haven't driven downtown yet, although I did ride in with Mary several weeks ago.

This morning when I was running back and forth to do my laundry at the Park HQ Bldg., I snapped a picture of the boat pilots' quarters. As I understand it, they work on 24 hour shifts and these are their quarters while on duty. I could see a container ship approaching but couldn't get a decent picture through the trees.



This afternoon when I was returning home I saw a big container ship over the treetops so I hurried home and went down a boat ramp to the river to try to get a good photograph. This picture shows it nearly alongside the pier from the pilots' quarters.



I was able to get a picture of the entire boat from the prow to the stern. If you click to enlarge it, you might count 8 or so stories from the deck up to the wheel house. What would it feel like sitting way up there looking out over everything you see!



Within an hour two more ships went by but I didn't get out to photograph them - too bad because they were both much nicer looking ships. That makes four ships that I've seen today, and possibly there were some I wasn't around to notice. I can't help but think that whatever is in those thousands of containers since I've been here, it's stuff that isn't being manufactured on the North American continent.

I have heard that the city of Savannah wants to dredge the river 4 ft deeper to be able to accommodate cruise ships into the port. (So we trade manufacturing for tourism!) They dredge the river every so often as it is, but will need to go an additional four feet. That would be something to see, a huge cruise ship floating by my 5th wheel! Unfortunately I'll be gone by the time it happens.

Last night I heard from my granddaughter, Ara, who told me that she had received a letter announcing she is her college's choice to study abroad at Marburg University in Marburg, Germany. She will be going there for the spring semester next year (2011). Founded in 1527, Marburg is the oldest university in existence. I believe there are 20-something thousand students there, which will be a great culture shock after studying at a small college in central Pennsylvania. What an experience for her, and as you can tell, I am a very proud grandma. I'm relieved that she won't be going into it not knowing a soul - as Juniata, her college, has international students and Ara has several friends from Germany that she keeps in touch with and who have come back to visit her.

8 comments:

  1. Well, it just goes to show Gypsy that despite a few dark days your ship finally came in:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are looking up Gypsy. Blue skies and a beautiful area...you are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place to be for you. Keep looking up, it's only going to get better. Ships are great to watch and it would be neat to have another cruise port to go from instead of Miami.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. It must be so nice seeing them float by your place. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the sun's out and the weather is better! That always acts as a pick me up. That's why we like Arizona, the sun comes out almost every day. But they desperately need some rain here as the desert plants are almost beyond dead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great news about Ara and her upcoming study time abroad. She sounds like a wonderful girl.

    Nice photos of the ships.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures of the ships! Congratulations to your granddaughter too - what a wonderful opportunity!! You have a right to be very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to your granddaughter...what an honor!!! You have every right to be proud!!!

    ReplyDelete