Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Greetings from O'Hare! UPDATE

Well, I'm out of Milwaukee and have a fairly long wait for my connecting flight at O'Hare.  I've already spent $30 on coffee, a couple of bananas, and a strawberry cream croissant!  Oh, and a bottle of water.  Airports charge an arm and a leg for everything!

I'm getting used to the cold and would you believe, I don't really mind it?  The only problem is that my clothes - jacket, sweat pants, etc., are a lighter weight suitable for California winters, but I'm ok with it.  Sioux Falls may be a little colder though.

I only have 20 mi. of free wifi here, so I'm making this short.  Later, from Sioux Falls.

UPDATE:
I arrived in Sioux Falls around 10 am and waited outside for only about 5 minutes for the taxi ordered by the lodge where I'm staying.  I thought I would die and turn to ice!  I had my titanium frame glasses on and they were burning my skin with cold; my ears were hurting with the freezing temps, and the cold wind came through my coat and fleece gloves.  All my clothing is for California cold winters - far different than upper midwest winters.  I'm tough though and lived through it.  In fact, I know I'd enjoy a cold winter if I had the proper clothing!  

I looked at a calendar and realize that I'll just have about a month until I leave for NY.   There are times when it is better to fly, but I hope I never have to rely on another plane!  One thing I'll have to say though is that Chicago O'Hare airport is one of the best.  For as much traffic as goes through there, they do a fantastic job moving the planes and people.  As a large hub I'd prefer O'Hare to any other airport I can think of.   But get me behind the wheel of my Highlander with a stack of maps and let me loose, and I'm ecstatic!

The Lodge is delightful - the woman at the desk offered me beer left by a big group that was here last weekend, and I took 3 of them!  I don't know how I'll survive the 1/2 mile + walk to the DMV for my 8 am appointment.  The cancelled flight out of Milwaukee screwed up my schedule, so rather than a leisurely two days in Sioux Falls and a 10 am appointment, I had to compress everything into one day.   But I am so glad I could spend an extra day with my brother and sister-in-law and have them all to myself after the crowds left.

When I look out of my window I see a huge lot of RV's in the lot next door.  They look new, but I'll have to study them from the warmth of my room for a bit to get an idea of what they have.  Looks like a lot of 5th wheels, which I would never want again, but they remind me of how I enjoyed traveling in my Hitchhiker II a few years back. 

 

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations, you are on your way. I never minded winter for a few days either. LOL But it just kept going on and on and on and on. Poor Virginia is getting another snow storm tonight. VIRGINIA - good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Sherry is right about winter being OK for a few days but after that it can quickly become a drag. And once one has spent any kind of time in the south during cold damp & snowy winter months it just makes tolerating winter that much harder. Well, in my opinion anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I even want a couple of days of cold winter. But I'm glad you're on your way. Good luck in Sioux Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you trip is going good so far. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, isn't that called being a "captured consumer" ??? Ouch! Hope you have a safe trip the rest of the way home!

    KarenInTheWoods and Steveio
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't remember why you aren't moving all your stuff back to CA rather than having to go to S.D. Hope you aren't an icicle when you board the plane home. 88 here today and we're complaining about the heat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you are moving right along even if you did loose a day.Hope the rest of you trip goes easy and safe.
    I may have found my camper just a little thing that folds down flat like a pop up but it has hard sides.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a whirlwind, huh? I agree about the cold. When I was living in snow country, I was fine - I just had better cold-weather clothes and was warm as toast. It was kind of exciting to be in temps that cold. :)

    ReplyDelete