Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, April 3, 2010

5th Wheel in Storage

I woke up about 4:00 am realizing that I was not at all prepared for a move of the 5ver. Everyone who RV's knows that there is a drill you go through to get ready and it normally doesn't take all that long to stow everything safely. With all the packing of boxes and getting things out of cabinets and drawers, the place was a mess! I arrived by 8:30 and worked steadily - with a short break for croissants and coffee - until Steve came by at Noon. I had the hoses stowed except for the fresh water, and the maintenance guy had tightened it with a wrench so I knew I'd never be able to budge it loose. Steve got the rest of the pre-move items accomplished, hitched up flawlessly, and we were on our way to the storage lot. We found it with no trouble, but the space was really difficult to back into, the way it was situated back in a corner with a large MH on one side and a boat jutting out in front. I couldn't believe what an incredible job of backing in he did but it is perfect, with just enough room to get in and out of the doors.

We took all the packed boxes back to my apartment before I dropped him off at Joe's house and continued back to the storage lot to get my clothes on hangers. Now I have the biggest part of my possessions here, although there is still a lot left to decide on. I finally got back home at 3:00 pm and crashed on the couch. I had planned to shop for groceries but that will have to wait. I am really afraid to drive much now and will be so glad when my surgery date arrives. Jeannie offered to come by later on and help me put things away but I am just too tired to deal with it. Next week will be early enough.

I thought I would be sad, or at least a bit nostalgic leaving the 5th wheel for the last time, but I'm not. I feel a sense of relief which will be even better when it is sold. I've learned a great deal by the experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I tested my limits, found I could meet anything as it comes, but also found that I don't have to keep proving it to myself or anyone else. What freedom! I'm looking forward to traveling once I get my good eyesight back and once I get rested up a bit.

10 comments:

  1. Gypsy, I really like your last paragraph on today's post. You are so right, we really don't have to prove anything to anybody. Here's to relief! And on to the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think few people realize what a huge responsibility RVing is & it is definately not for the faint of heart. People often view RV'ers as having a dream life. Well, to some extent that is true but there is a very real side to RVing that isn't anywhere near a dream. It's the reality of everyday living in a big box on wheels. That big box is vulnerable to many things that sticks & bricks folks take for granted. Ya did good Gypsy, ya did really good:))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well another thing can be checked off your list...getting that baby into storage! Good going on that job. Make sure to let everyone know how your surgery goes, when the time comes. We'll be waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making great progress Gypsy. Keep the stories coming on this chapter of you inspiring life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Gypsy, you did it. And, I'm sure you will look back at your 5th wheel experiences with much fondness, great memories and a lot of pride in what you were able to accomplish. You did good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really are an inspiration, Gypsy. I've been reading your blog for quite some time now and ... well ... you're just my hero! ;)

    You're part of the reason I'm looking at houses. Reading of your decisions along the way has helped me with mine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sis,

    This reminds me about the two greatest days in a boat owner's life..., the day they buy the boat, and the day that they sell the boat!

    Welcome back to California!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're feeling relief, then the decision was right for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, gypsy, you made it into your apartment. Good luck on selling the 5th wheel!

    I look forward to experiencing the relief when we move and get ours sold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gypsy, You were wondering where to get organic or farm raised lamb.
    I found out that there is a place near to me that sells it, maybe there is one near you?
    http://www.localharvest.org/organic-lamb.jsp
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete