Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, March 18, 2017

The Old Days

They sure don't make things like they used to in the old days!  When my mother-in-law died I took her kitchen timer - a plastic 60 min. (manual, of course) timer.  You turn the arrow to the number of minutes you want and you are good to go.  Over the years I have dropped that thing, and since it is essentially a plastic base with the plastic face that fits into it, I just put it back together and it never fails.  I just dropped it now, and after several bounces it landed in two pieces.  I thought to myself, "Marty, you've done it this time." but there were no chipped or broken spots in it, and I just tested it and it works!  Try that with a modern digital timer. 

Ara joined me in going to the market this morning - neither of us had a long list of produce to buy, and we were out of there in less than half an hour.  So for my lunch/dinner I just had a delicious combination of beets, green leafy vegetables, hard boiled egg, and a slice of artisan bread that I also bought at the market.  I threw in some 5-cheese tortellini for good measure just a few minutes before the greens were finished cooking.  Now I'm stuffed!

We had a sprinkling of rain this morning, enough to get the streets wet.  I looked at the 15 day forecast and it calls for temps in the 60's, plus some for-sure rainy days and the rest of them with a chance of rain.  This is for the next 15 days, and up into April.  I just read that we are also expecting a bumper crop of mosquitoes this year.  With holes in every screen in my house I am sure to have a problem.  I have not been bothered at all by mosquitoes in probably the last 4 or 5 years; they fly all around me and even land on my arm, but never seem to bite.  If I knew what I have been doing or eating something different then I could keep doing it, but as it is I have no clue.

I haven't yet been outside to pull a few weeds & grass.  I'm determined to do a little each day if I can, so as soon as my supper settles I'll go outside.

Thanks to Janet for recommending the 10% vinegar solution - I checked and all 4 bottles I recently bought are 5%.  I haven't opened the bottles, so if I can find my Costco receipt I will return them and look for the stronger stuff at Home Depot.

11 comments:

  1. Just be careful handling the 10% stuff -- it is very acidic. I have one of those old timers too and have dropped it a couple of times. It's still tickin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weed link is interesting. She is a master gardener who gets are blend of vinegar and orange oil at Lowe's. Not cheap, but she says it works. Spray at noon on a hot day so the weed will drink it in. Don't spray when windy of course. She has a good article. Hope this helps. Maybe you can have one of your sons get on the protective gloves, googles etc. and spray it for you if you can find it. http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/a-vinegar-weed-killer/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest problem is having someone spray it for me. My middle son (Steve) is willing but doesn't always have the time, and he lives clear across Sacramento from me. I'm not going to beg anyone to help me, and am thinking about contacting a gardener and just having regular maintenance. I'd like something other than these crappy rocks, which were here when I moved in.

      Delete
  3. It would be nice if you could get something pretty back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a small space, with an ugly wooden fence separating the houses on this side with a walking path on the other. It's really too small to "build a scenic area", and there are mobile homes on either side of me - very close as they always are in mobile home parks. I don't even like to sit on my porch or driveway because there is nothing worth looking at and no feeling of spaciousness. I've thought of screening in my front porch and trying to block the afternoon sun, but don't know if it's worth the effort.

      Delete
  4. I so wish to find a farmers market. I went to one a while back and then they never had anything again. My mouth waters when you talk about the wonderful veggies you buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky there are a lot of them in the Sacramento area, on Saturdays and Sundays as well. I like the one nearest me - about a mile away. Parking is great (it is normally the parking for the light rail station there, so it is easy in and out.

      Delete
  5. Did you look at Tuesday Morning for comfortable socks like I mentioned? You can buy diabetic socks on Amazon also. They all have softer elastic in the tops and don't leave indents on your legs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=diabetic+socks+for+women

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are right about many things being better built and longer lasting in the "old days". It's all about repack it and spend more money and throw the old one out, wherever out is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of it has to do with being produced cheaply overseas, where you never actually see the name of the company that made the product anywhere on it or on the packaging. There is a big disconnect between the producer and the buyer, so what incentive has the producer to maintain quality control.

      Delete