Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, March 17, 2017

March 17th

I just looked at the calendar and saw the date.  Is it really St. Patrick's Day?   Quite a few years ago I would have been anticipating this date and making plans to go out with friends, drink green beer in large quantities, and generally make fools of ourselves.   I am continually amazed at how growing older produces such a huge change in a person, at least it did in my case.

I haven't heard any of my kids talk about going out so maybe they will be drinking their green beer at home.  I have one bottle of beer in my house, brewed in Belgium, that I think has been there for at least two months.  I don't believe I have any food coloring, so I'm just going to have to skip this years fun and games!

It looks like we may get some rain by the beginning of next week, so I went out and tried to pull up some of the grass I sprayed this past week.  It comes up easily enough but there is so much of it, and I get sick if I lean forward for any length of time.  I need to spend a little time each day, rain or shine, and try to get most of the stuff.

I came in from the weed pulling and declared that I was going to move into an apartment.   Just looking for a suitable apartment I can afford is depressing.  There was one that interested me - it was in an "Extended Stay" facility, sort of a motel for longer term visitors.  The monthly rent isn't cheap by any means, but it includes everything!  Then I realized it would be fine for a person who went to work during the day, maybe going out with co-workers for dinner (and a little St. Paddy's Day cheer), but to spend your entire day in a small place like that would drive me bonkers.    The kitchenette actually has a 2 burner stove top, but it isn't designed for the gourmet cooking that I do!  That is meant to be a big joke, so let's hear the laughter.  I've never been a gourmet cook - I'm a "down-home" cook

So a studio apt. is not the answer, nor is living in this place.  For now I'm stuck with the lesser of two poor choices which is to stay where I'm living now.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good choice might be a travel trailer (no stairs like fiver has) in a campground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the living space and ingenious storage space of an RV, but I know nothing about repairs to systems and would have to pay to have every little thing done. Not that a house is easy to maintain, but I found that RV's (and I am sure it applies to travel trailers) have their own unique problems. I'd like to call a landlord to tell the truth (although their maintenance people sometimes don't know more than I do!)

      Delete
  2. Boy I hate that feeling if being stuck. It's interesting that I don't seem a whole lot different than I was in my 30s. Never was a beer lover or terribly "social".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very social in my younger years, although as now, I preferred small groups. I drank mostly scotch back then, but now I love my beer! (which is still in the fridge, by the way).

      Delete
  3. Not sure you would be happy with the "clientele" at Extended Stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some in-city Red Roof Inns & Motel 6 sometimes have homeless, but I don't think this Extended Stay place is like that. It's location, for one thing.

      Delete
  4. I have been tossing the thought of selling too, then I start looking and it just doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore. My place is getting old and is in need of lots of new things one being the heating and cooling system and who knows how long before the roof needs replacing. I could never live in just one room either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a dilemma, and I just don't know what to do.

      Delete
  5. Right now most of your problems are your own. In an apartment you have yours as well as the problems of/with others with usually no solution. Are you using 10% horticultural vinegar? It should kill the weeds. They must be really tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the problems with other apartment dwellers.

      I just looked at the bottle and it is white vinegar distilled to 5% acidity. I didn't realize there was a grade called "horticultural".

      Delete
  6. We buy 10% acidity at the feed store. Don't know if you have 10% where you live. We are in a more agricultural area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot or some type of home improvement store with a garden area, you might find 10% vinegar there or they may know where you can get some if you want to try it. Of course, you won't be able to grow anything there after using it.

    You think some kind of rock salt would work eventually, if you don't mind using all that salt. Hope you find something that works. Bending over and pulling is a lousy way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I could find it at Home Depot in their garden store. The problem is that what I've put down kills the grass & weeds but they still have to be pulled out of the ground or I will get a "ticket" from the park police when they make their lot inspections starting April 1.

      Delete
  8. Wow! That is bad. You think they would help people to comply that aren't able.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gypsy...interesting about the vinegar. This explains why it did not work for me. Are your weeds where you can cover them with mulch after killing them? Or is this banned by the park too?

    ReplyDelete