Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Attacking the weeds!

It has been cloudy off and on all day and was supposed to rain today and tomorrow, so I was surprised when Steve called and said he would come over with his helper (Liam) and treat the weeds in my yard.  The grass and weeds have grown like they are on steroids with all the rain we've had this year.  I pulled a few by hand, but since my gallbladder operation a couple of years ago I can't lean over forward for very long, and that's what I have to do to grab the weeds and pull!

Liam and I did pull a lot of the stuff along the back fence, and Steve helped as well.  By the time he left we could see parts of the grass and plants had already started to turn brown.  He will definitely have to come back and spray again.  We used vinegar, salt, and a bit of dishwashing detergent (to better make the solution stick to the weeds).

He talked to me about replacing the all the windows in the house.  They are all the old jalousie type windows and don't fit tightly to begin with.  Many of the cranks have been lost over time, and the ones that are still on the windows don't work very well, which means I open them in the beginning of summer and don't close them until late fall.  That allows a lot of dirt and dust to blow in, so I think a new style of window that is easier to open and close, plus screens that will be easier to clean, will make my life a lot better.  Most of the windows are very large which helps when buildings are so close to each other and block out the sunlight, but most people who replace the old windows seem to opt for much smaller ones.  I think I convinced Steve I need the light.

He and Joe will come over "soon" and haul all the junk away in the laundry room.  At one time it was an open porch which the owners tried to close off and make a ceiling to hide the aluminum porch cover.  It wasn't a good job to begin with, but I understand how it must have worsened over time.   So we will clean everything out and they will try to put a new ceiling up.  I have 220 electric coming into the room, so I would like to replace the old washing machine and add a dryer.  That will make life a lot easier for me when doing laundry, as I wash it here and carry the baskets across the street to the laundry room to dry and fold.  I will probably continue to line dry my sheets and towels, but might just accept using a dryer for everything else.  We'll see how long it takes for this to happen, and I understand they both have families of their own.  They both are excellent fathers who spend a lot of time with their children, and I don't want to cut into that time unnecessarily but will appreciate anything they can do. 

 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like some very nice upgrades your thinking about.
    New windows are so nice. Our house needs about half of the windows
    replaced. Our home is at the stage it needs lots of maintenance and
    upgrades. Nice but costly.
    You will really enjoy a dryer on many days.
    Your sons installing the windows? That will save a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be so glad to get new windows, and yes, my sons will do it. It's no wonder I've been so cold this winter - the windows are so bad they don't close tightly and there are lots of places the cold air comes through. It is costly but I will probably save money on heating bills next winter. I don't know how it would affect the summer as I don't use air conditioning. I keep a window open when the swamp cooler is on for the air circulation, and it works fairly well. When it gets to 100F though, there aren't many ways to stay cool without a/c.

      Delete
  2. The new windows will really help in winter.

    And yes the weeds are everywhere again here to so much rain this winter. I already sprayed once but it is getting away from me again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain started last night and it looks like we will have more today. I just hope that at least some of the weeds were affected by the vinegar/salt. It looks like I will end up having to pull a lot more by hand.

      Delete
  3. I can certain understand about the weeds. I have been looking at mine for the past two weeks and I know I need to take care of them now or I will have a larger problem on my hands very soon.

    As I type this, it is raining and has been since yesterday but it is a nice soaking rain not heavy downpours...that will only make it worst!

    You are so fortunate to have your sons willing to help out. Trades are very expensive, mother's house is old and needs a lot of TLC but the cost to have it done are prohibited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish your area police would just lighten up on weeds. If it's green why not just leave it alone. So much work to pick and choose what grows in your yard. Really wonderful to have those boys to help take care of things for you. You really raised a fine family. I know you are rightfully proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My place is one of the older ones and was never landscaped properly to begin with. Taking care of a yard or plants is certainly not my thing to do, so I have only skated by. A lot of people here fill their tiny yards with gnomes, angels, windmills, all kinds of chimes and whirligigs. There's is something to be said for that because then you don't notice any weeds there might be.

      Delete
  5. Repairs to our homes are a pain. Yep, a pain in the back, arms, legs, and neck. I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even pull many weeds yesterday and have pains all over! I'm past the point where I can do even minor repairs.

      Delete