Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Overdoing it!

Like I do with many things, I jumped into the walking just rarin' to go and to ever increase the distance.  I think I've overdone it a bit, so I'm going to slow down.  It helps that I have Jeannie & Ara to work out with, so I can walk a shorter distance and then do a workout approx. 3 times a week.  I don't want to be such an old lady but I have to face facts.

Ara has a job but they told her upfront it seems to take forever to get all the clearances and things they require.  I'm enjoying having her nearby and besides going to the gym together, we often just sit and talk.  She seems to be settling in finally, after being away from Sacramento through college and two or three years after.

I walked 57-1/2 miles for the month of January, a little short of the 2 miles a day goal.  It doesn't matter because I'm going to cut back anyway, and I think the workouts will be as important to my health as the walking.

Jeannie is now driving.  I told her it's like watching my baby take her first steps, sort of bittersweet because from then on they move further and further away from you.  I'm glad to see her able to be independent though, as I know how I would feel in her position.  Now when I go someplace in my car with Ara I hand her the keys first thing.  It's so nice to not have to drive and watch the traffic.

I'm still waiting for my house to warm up.  We are in for some more rainy weather, but I swore I wouldn't complain about rain.  I wouldn't mind a warm rain once in a while!  

 

10 comments:

  1. It nice that all of you get to go to the gym together it seems you all can enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time goes by so fast and the exercises seem much easier when you are with someone.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I have walked in years what you have walked in one month! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably walk during the day more than you realize. When I'm at home alone I sit a lot, which isn't good.

      Delete
  3. What sort of job is Ara waiting for? 57.5 is really close to 2 miles a day. What happened that you think you'd better slow down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to get to the 62m mark which would have been 2m a day, but it just didn't work out. I started having a minor pain in my hip and my legs felt like they were full of lead and hurt most of the time. I think I'll be better off walking in shorter spurts, maybe do some outdoors when it warms up, and mix it up with other exercises. The way this gym arranges its equipment is sheer genius. I don't work as hard at it as Ara and Jeannie do, but I can feel the results in my shoulders & arms this morning.

      Delete
  4. I have been walking two miles a day for a long time now. However when the weather is bad and I have to use the treadmill at the gym I can't do the two miles everyday without my hips starting to hurt. I just cut back until the weather clears up and I can get back outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting. I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference, but maybe that's why myt hips ache. I walked only 1.5 miles this morning and think I'll try that for a while.

      Delete
    2. Also if you hold on to the rails why you walk it throws your alignment off and is hard on the joints. You should be walking with good posture and swinging your arms as you walk just as you would outside. If you find you have to hold on to the rails for balance you need to slow down the pace until you can walk naturally.

      Delete
    3. Oops! My balance is gone after I pass the 3.0 mark. I hold on to one side - not tightly but just to balance, and swing my other arm; keep changing arms. I will try slowing down tomorrow and see if I can tell a difference. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete