Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, January 2, 2017

Catching up on rest

You may wonder why I would need to catch up on rest when I rarely do anything, except of course, walking my 2 miles a day.  That does tire me out and still makes my legs ache.

I got up a little later than I had planned this morning, eventually got to the gym, and went to Costco this afternoon with Jeannie, Donald, and Autumn.  (Arianna was at a friend's house.)  Jeannie is still suffering from the foot surgery and has rented a little scooter that she can kneel on and put her her injured leg up, and push with the other foot.  Several people asked her about it, one who was going to have foot surgery himself, and his daughter was having it on both feet.  I have seen these little scooters but didn't think of how much the mobility means to someone who can't walk while recuperating.

I didn't get a thing at Costco myself, but pushed their cart while Donald and Autie were busy filling it up.  At the checkout we ordered brisket sandwiches to pick up at their outside food window.  They were as good as I remembered, and twice as messy, but definitely worth it.

The woman ahead of us was paying for her order and her little boy, no more than 3 or 4 yrs old, ran behind the cashier and grabbed the cart.  The cashier told him, "No, I'll push it to your Mom", and he answered very emphatically, "No I'll push the cart.  I'm a man!"  I don't think many people heard him, but I was ready to burst out laughing.

Not much else to write about except to say that the sky was stunning this afternoon.  Big dark clouds one moment with the sun's rays coloring the tops of them the next.  The formation was always changing as well as the colors, and it was a beautiful sight.

I'm getting my hair trimmed tomorrow.  The time seems to roll around so much faster these days - I just had my hair trimmed!

I hope you all have had a good start to 2017.

12 comments:

  1. Those scooters are awesome! My Podiatrist had me try a prototype when I had foot surgery in 2002. I was caregiving my Mom at the time and wasn't slowed down by surgery at all. They work great in Malls. I zipped around while teenagers were pointing and saying "awesome!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter really gets around on hers pretty well. I'm so glad it was recommended to her.

      Delete
  2. I noticed the other night that Jupiter was nest to the moon in the southwestern sky. That doesn't happen very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see very far into the southwest from where I am, but I must have been driving one evening recently and saw a light so bright it could only be Jupiter!

      Delete
  3. Made a typo, I meant to type "was next to the moon", not "nest to the moon".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those scooters are awesome and can really really help with mobility!!
    Walking two miles a day is fantastic!! I need to get with it. The weather has been so awful kately I haven't been able to get moving.
    Happy New Year!!

    www.freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad my daughter found a rental for the scooter. I watched her on crutches with the heavy cast & boot dragging along, and then limping when I took her to work and picked her up. She has Type 1 diabetes and doesn't heal as fast as people without it, and this scooter at least gives her more mobility and freedom.

      Delete
  5. I broke my ankle last August and could not bear weight on it for six weeks. The scooter made such a difference in the quality of my life! We had to buy ours because there were no rentals but it was totally worth it. We eventually donated the scooter to the senior center here and they plan on having it for people to check out when they need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame you weren't near a rental place, but what a wonderful donation to the senior center. Those scooters make all the difference in a person being able to get around for themselves.

      Delete
  6. My friend had a couple of surgeries on her feet and she had one of those scooters didn't stop her from doing anything.

    I think I need to go for a hair cut tomorrow too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scooter certainly has given my daughter more freedom and comfort.

      Delete