Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, January 27, 2017

New Gym

I signed Ara and me up for the new gym this morning.  It took a while getting everything into their system but we finally received our membership cards and began a workout with walking (me) and elliptical (Ara).  We then checked out the various exercise machines and I worked on things like triceps, upper back etc.    We didn't spend too much time on these - I definitely need to get back into it gradually.  I expect a few sore muscles but will be back at those machines in two days.  I plan to continue my walking every day.

The treat was the hydromassage table.  You lie on your back and something moves up and down slowly from your ankles to your neck, and then back again.  The table is set for 6 minutes, and I think it may be heated slightly as well.  It is really relaxing.

From there we tried a much touted thing that you step into - it looks sort of like a shower stall.  They warn you of the intense light and give you something to put over your eyes if you don't have dark sunglasses with you.  I got into the device and immediately dropped and lost one of the eye protectors.  They were right about the intense light though.  So I stood there the whole time with my hands covering my closed eyes, and could still see the light!  I waited for something else to happen, and the light kept getting warmer.  If I had been able to open my eyes I would have realized I needed to punch some keys on a device that activates the vibrations, so I didn't get any of that.  It is supposed to break down and get rid build-up of lactic acid in your muscles.

I may try that vibrational/heat lamp/shower stall next time if I remember to wear my sunglasses.  I had my eyes so tightly shut I couldn't see a damn thing!   It's not like I don't have enough problems with my eyes!

I am going to love this place, and we have already agreed to go in the evening on Monday.    Monday nights are pizza nights - the gym orders in a bunch of pizzas for everyone's enjoyment; Tuesday mornings are bagel mornings, so you know where I will be on Tuesday morning!

Thanks to Phil for the info about Silver Sneakers (or whatever it's called).  I called my insurance program (BCBS) as well as checked with Medicare online.  It looks like Medicare is the one that might pay for a portion of gym membership, but it looks like you need "Medicare Advantage".  I don't know what that is all about and I just have a Medicare card - no Advantages that I know of.  The cost per person at this gym is only $20 a month  because we got in on a special that ends Jan. 31.  I was paying $53 a month at the old gym, so I'm getting a membership for Ara and me for less than what I paid for myself only.   I think we will encourage each other to exercise on a regular basis, and I certainly will benefit from that.  I loved exercising with Jeannie and Donald, but when they had to suspend their membership I quit doing anything but walking on the treadmill.

I am really fighting a nap right now because it will mess up my sleep patterns, but I don't know how I can avoid it.  I like to get up early on Saturday mornings, drive over to the market and  back, all within 20-30 minutes.  I know exactly what I'm looking for and which stalls I like to buy from.

The sun is shining so brightly it seems awful to think about sleeping through the light!  I hope everyone has a good weekend - I certainly plan to.

8 comments:

  1. Your new gym sounds wonderful. I would definitely join one that cost on $20 a month although they probably don't have yoga classes and that's what I really like. It was my reward for working out at my old gym and then some time in the sauna after. I really looked forward to it and miss it on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not a person who likes to be in a class. I attended one yoga session at my old gym but it was impossible for me to hear. I wasn't far away from the instructor but she spoke so softly and her face was turned in a direction that I just couldn't hear. It was a very uncomfortable class to sit through and I'll never do another one.

      The old gym had a sauna (and steam room) and Jeannie liked the sauna. I would go in but leave after about 2 min. and wait for her outside. They post warnings for people with heart disease which was enough for me as I didn't like it much anyway! I forgot to mention that we each got a free t-shirt for joining!

      Delete
  2. This new Gym sounds great. I have Silver Sneakers my part D insurance pays for it, But I can't find a gym that works for me, my daughter just joined one so when we get together Sunday I will get all the info from her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she's a member maybe she can get you a guest pass. That's what I love about the new gym - we can bring a guest along any time except they can't use the specialty stuff like the hydromassage or the "telephone booth" thing that I haven't figured out yet!

      I'm glad you mention "Part D", because now I know I don't have it. I think my Blue Cross Blue Shield supplements Medicare and I was told I didn't need Part D. Even at that, $20 a month is a small price to pay and I've checked out all the gyms in this area. I'm so glad I found this one!

      Delete
  3. You got a great deal on your membership price. Having someone to exercise with is a big motivation and the pizza and bagels don't hurt either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to love it, I know. We took Jeanie with us as a guest this morning and I think she will sign up as well. Three generations exercising in one place!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's so high tech in some thing that I haven't figured them out yet. But I will!

      Delete