Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Three generations

Ara and I took her mom (Jeannie) to the gym with us this morning and I think we have her convinced to switch to the one we signed up at.  She can go with an individual membership which is really inexpensive; Donald really only went to play basketball and this one doesn't have a court; the kids got tired of the "Kids Club" and didn't want to go any more, so I think it will just be "the girls".  

We went to Costco today and when we got in the car to return home Jeannie told Donald she wanted to drive.  She did fine as far as my house, and I'm sure she made it home okay.  I think it's been 10 weeks since her surgery and she is glad to see the end of having to rely on others to take her anywhere.  I'm worried, of course, being a mother.  I'll be glad to take her from her work to the downtown chiropractor anytime she wants me to, but I can see how it is difficult for an independent person to have to rely on others for everything.

Donald sent me a photo of his last cake, which was for a two year old and is a farm scene.  (Click on photo to enlarge it)





He said the child was excited when he saw it. 

The afternoon sun shining  in makes the windows look as bad as they actually are.  I believe we are getting more rain next week so I won't wash them yet.  At least the temps are forcasted to be in the 60's, which is perfect weather to me - 65-78F being ideal!  Over 80 is getting hot.

I went into the grocery this afternoon to buy some lemons, and the guys in back of me in the line were talking about what kind of beer they like to drink when the weather gets hot.  I realized it doesn't make any difference to me - hot weather or cold, I drink the same beer - but I don't think I've  had a beer in a couple of weeks.  I sleep so much better when I don't drink one in the evening, but maybe while the sun is still shining ????   I may as well wait until I really want a beer, which I don't right now.

I hope all of you in blogland have had as good a day as I have.  It seems that I have met nothing but kind and patient and friendly people today!

 

12 comments:

  1. So glad you've had a great day!! That came is amazing!! What child wouldn't want a cake like that....what adult for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donald is a true artist. I was telling someone about a cake he did for someone who loves Harry Potter - it was in the shape of a cauldron. He makes some beautiful adult cakes as well, and some are just plain funny. He did one for me years ago shaped like my 5th wheel RV!

      Delete
  2. Good to hear Jeannie drove today and if she did well then she is well on her way again.

    OH I love the cake Donald is so talented.

    Happy to hear you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. Once Jeannie made up her mind she wanted to drive, there was no stopping her. It will be a lot easier on me and, of course, Donald, if she can drive. I'm concerned about the trip downtown though - finding a parking place and sometimes having to walk almost a block from the car to the chiro. I drop her off and pick her up in front, and do all the parking and moving the car. But she is one to want to do it herself once she finds out she can.

      Delete
  3. Three generations exercising is a feat only your family could accomplish. I love reading how close you are to one another, something rare in today's society.

    I am sure Jeannie decided to once again drive because she felt she was ready. The cake Donald made would appeal to both children and adults.

    I too would have to say that I drink the same beer no matter the weather. Sadly, I have not had one since Terlingua :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we could both use a beer, wouldn't you say? Thank you for your kind words. I hope we always stay close - it's hard as families grow into their own separate units. I used to be so close to my parents, brothers & sisters, but sadly we grew apart eventually. I think the slide started when my Dad passed away.

      Delete
  4. I just can't get over Donald's cakes. Does he have a business baking them? Your girls at the gym plan sounds perfect. I like temps in the 70's too. Perfect weather in my opinion. We had 60 as our high today and 48 as our low which seems pretty cool to me. Of course back in our former hometown 48 is the high so we're not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Donald has a cake and other desserts business. He also makes things (gratis) for different teachers and occasions at school. Our high today is set for 57, but it already feels warm in the sun. I'm washing towels to hang on the line in a few minutes. I've been saving them over the winter because I hate them coming out of the dryer.

      Delete
  5. Wow, your new gym sounds really good. Is it a chain fitness gym?
    If so , what is its name ...... Since I'm in central Calif I will check it out.
    Mine doesn't offer what yours does.... Of course I only pay 10.00 a month and
    a 30.00 once a year for paper work.
    So far I just walk the treadmill and ride the bike. I'm out of shape.
    Starting slow...... As seniors should, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it's called Planet Fitness, and there are several of them in the Sacramento area, although I've heard this one is by far the best (and probably the newest). The membership is a special and will go up a few dollars after Jan 31's - $10 a month for all the machines, treadmills, etc. $20 a month if you include the hydromassage beds, chair, and some other things. They have tanning equipment which I signed that I didn't want (CA law, I think). There is a yearly fee which seems minimal after what I paid at California Fitness. So far everything is wonderful about it.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention that I walk the treadmill and use some of the machines for exercising upper body. I'm still sore and I didn't overdo it, but that is probably to be expected due to my age and the fact that I haven't done any upper body work for 6 or 8 months. It's a good hurt, though.

      Delete
  6. That's interesting because that's where I go in my area but they didn't mention at all
    when I signed up about hydromassage beds. There was a line of people
    to sign up when I did and they were probably pushing us along.
    I just signed up in middle January.
    Yours may be newer but I will as about the extras.
    Sounds like your more faithful than I have been.
    I'm working on it! Lol

    ReplyDelete