Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Dental woes

I had impressions taken this morning for the partial lower denture.  After weeks of not being able to eat the healthy foods I like, I find out that the first fitting won't be ready until Feb. 6, and it will likely be a month before it is finally ready.   It seems like an intermanibly long time, and I probably could have pushed him to start the process sooner than now, but I wanted to be sure I was properly healed.   From what he says, it is much more difficult to get used to lower dentures, which he has told me before.   He had mentioned implants in the beginning as being a possibly better solution, but having know two people who had to have their implants removed I decided I would just go with the old tried and true.  I am not going to like it, but I will get used to it.

To  treat myself for acting like a big girl in the dentist chair, I came home and had my dinner at lunch time, including a large russet potato, mashed with butter, milk, cheddar and sour cream.  It was enough for a good sized serving plus a potato pancake for breakfast, but I ate the entire batch and loved every bite of it.  If all the dental woes have had a positive effect it would be that I've been reminded of how good mashed potatoes are.  I got lazy to the point of just boilding them and topping them with the cheese, but there is nothing like having them mashed.  

We are coming to the last of the rain-free days for a while.   I think the next week will be rainy and colder.  While driving to the dentist this morning I had to cross the American River and can see water clear down the river - trees and bushes had grown out where the water receded in past years.  I also see the footbridge that is just about a foot above the water level.  Jeannie said that last week it had been covered.  As long as we have a day or so to dry out once in a while, I certainly welcome the rain.

It's kind of boring sitting at home so much, but I don't dare go into any of the stores except for the grocery to buy milk & the like.  Entering Target or Costco would be like opening the floodgates!  When I start running low on funds during the latter part of the month I have to just stay home and try to hold on to what little I have.  My travel money account is going to be wiped out for the dentures, but thank goodness I have it!  I would at least love to do some camping but it's no fun alone any more since my sidekick is gone.  I think I miss that dog more now than ever.

12 comments:

  1. I hate you have to wait so long for your dentures. Hopefully by taking your time and making sure all is healed will help the dentures fit well and feel good.
    I love mashed potatoes but we don't have them often. ..watching our weight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what the dentist tells me, the lower ones are the hardest to fit and to use without a lot of problems, so I am willing to wait until I am healed and the dentures are ready. They'd better be good for the price I'm paying!

      I think I will continue to eat my potatoes mashed from now on - they are delicious and I'd forgotten how much better they are. I can't wait to eat my normal diet again - it's difficult to get the calories I need without eating a lot of things I shouldn't have, like sweets.

      Delete
  2. My lower denture was a complete waste of money. I can wear them, sort of. Eating not. They reside in a drawer. Sure regret that expense. That gooky glob stuff will hold them in but not to eat any better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, and I'm so hungry! Are yours full or partial dentures? I still have my front teeth and I'm hoping they will keep the dentures in place better.

      Getting old sure isn't for sissies!

      Delete
  3. I love potatoes too. almost anyway you want to make them is wonderful. I had mashed topped with sauerkraut for dinner tonight. Yum! Really hoping your dentures aren't as difficult as you fear. I'm watching carefully how it works for you since it seems everyone ends up there. Since I hate shopping, it isn't a temptation for me. Does really help save money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to shop aimlessly, but when there are things I need I go straight to them and that's it, very little wandering around a store unless I'm with my daughter.

      I tried sauerkraut on my mashed potatoes and ended up giving the kraut to Ara since she likes it. I used to eat it when I was growing up and even as an adult, but with spare ribs and potatoes!

      I will learn to use the dentures to my advantage no matter what it takes!

      Delete
  4. My husband has a tooth implant for a long time and has no problems. It was more expensive than a plate but he figures it's worth it. Thank God I still have my own teeth but if need be I will opt for implants. Good luck with your plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Vera. I'm sure a lot of folks love them and I would too, but my daughter and my brother-in-law both had trouble with them almost from the beginning. I decided that at my age I just didn't want to take the chance.

      Delete
    2. I guess it would scare you if someone in your family had problems with implants.

      Delete
    3. Not only that, but both had more trouble taking them out than they did having them put in. It contributed to my brother-in-law having sepsis, which can be fatal. So I figured at my age I'm not going through all that.

      Delete
  5. glad you enjoyed such a great meal. Sounds pretty good to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good but it gets pretty boring since I'm so limited in what I can eat/chew. It's discouraging to think how long I'm going to have to wait, and then who knows how long it will take to get used to the new partial.

      Delete