Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Pay no attention to Einstein

I read somewhere a few days ago that many great minds of the past have relied on a "power nap" each day, including Albert Einstein.   So I figured if it helped Einstein then maybe it will clear the fog from my mind.  

I took a half-hour nap yesterday, although a little too late in the day, and was awake until well after midnight, causing me to stay in bed until 9am this morning.  I hate that kind of schedule as I want to be awake in the early morning and asleep in the early night.  Today I tried Einstein's nap a little earlier in the day - about 2pm.  

I will see if it messes up my schedule tonight.  I usually find that I feel worse and not better after a nap although sometimes it is just plain necessary.

Next week is turning out to  be "medical week" for me.  I see my chiropractor, dentist, and opthamologist the first three days, and then I'm going to have to find a doctor so I can have some blood drawn and see what is making me so itchy.  The worst is in my ears where it's impossible to scratch.  I tried doing an online search but they really don't give any information of value.  I think it's been about 3 years since I've had bloodwork done, although the worst part is that I will have to select a doctor to analyze it, not that I couldn't do that myself.  For pete's sake, they tell you if you are above or below the norm and by how much.  I could compare it to my results in the past, which I will do anyway.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is something in my house that is causing me problems.  I don't have downright symptoms (except for the itching) but things are definitely different and I feel different when I'm away from home all day.

Here is to a good week ahead for all of us!

14 comments:

  1. I can never nap or my day is all turned around just like you describe. Up too late, sleep in too long. Wonder why your house would be bothering you now after all the time you've been there? We just had that doctors week last week and I am SO glad it is over. This too will pass I kept telling myself and it did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because of the lack of insulation and all the rain we have been getting, there is moisture seeping in everywhere. That can cause so many big problems with mold, although I haven't seen any in the house. The house also is badly in need of releveling so maybe I've just been throw off balance :-)

      Delete
  2. My husband is itching under his arms and forearms. He was covered in what looked like hives. Went to the doctor and was told to take Benadryl and was prescribed a topical cream. He ended up with a cough. The itch doesn't seem to go away. Someone told us that it could be Kawasaki Syndrome but the reading I have done tells me that happens more with children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look that up and see if it matches anything I have. I think my original itching all over was caused by ingredients I didn't realize were in some supplements and vitamins I was taking - one was full of green tes extracts of one kind or another and some are known to cause allergic reaction. Things got somewhat better when I stopped taking all vitamins and supplements for a week or so, and I've eliminated the ones I think bother me but I don't know why my ears still itch.

      I found that over time, the mfrs of supplements/vitamins add other vitamins, etc., to their formulation, or else raise the amount of the vitamin. Biotin was one of these. They doubled it to where it is now double the recommended dose (which is probably conservatively figured); others add ingredients such as magnesium sulfate, etc. to just about everything, so if you don't watch it you could get way too much magnesium. I've also stopped taking anything that contains dyes (except beet juice dyes and other naturals) and things like titanium dioxide and any word followed by "dioxide".

      I've thought of taking a Benadryl to see if it might help, but if I take several over a period of time it will affect my heart beat and I don't want that happening. (Sorry I've just about written a blog post to comment on your comment!)

      Delete
  3. I am always on the go but yesterday I was really tired. Laid down to take a nap and slept for four hours! I even missed my Spurs game :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to take a nap but sometimes I am just too tired to go on. You must have really been tired to miss your Spurs game! We can't have any more of that!

      Delete
  4. I rarely nap. They have a tendency to get me "off schedule."
    I hope you find the source of your itching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't nap very often and yes, it totally turns a schedule around and it messes with your regular sleep patterns.

      Delete
  5. In the last year a nap early afternoon has been a great thing for me. However I set a timer for twenty minutes to get me awake. Longer than twenty minutes leaves me fuzzy brained the rest of the day and screws up my night sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't set the timer or anything but I'm pretty sure I didn't go over half an hour. Maybe I should move up the time an hour or so, although my schedule is so erratic I can't set a specific time to nap.

      Delete
  6. Have you changed the brand of laundry soap/detergent you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point and I never thought to ask myself, but no, I still use the same soaps, detergent, shampoo, etc. By the way, the Benadryl tablet I took last night greatly eased the itching. The trouble is that I can't take it regularly enough to notice a real difference, as it doesn't go well with heart disease.

      Delete
  7. My wife takes mid-afternoon naps, but I don't. If I do, I always feel worse when I wake up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's a matter of limiting my nap to half an hour.

      Delete