Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Turning cooler

Although we will have mostly sunny skies, the temps will be dropping from the 70's into the 60's.  That's fine with me.  I neglected to take advantage of the sunny warm days to hang sheets on the line to dry, but I'll get them out there someway.  

Today I hung the remaining 3 paintings in the kitchen.  Click on the picture to enlarge it.





I've made a lot of mistakes in these paintings, but it's good for me to see them together and up close.  I hope I can remedy what I'm doing wrong in future efforts.  They are really just my first try, although as I struggle with the Irish farmhouse I feel like it's the first time I ever looked at paints and a brush.  I think I did fairly well on the house, but the surrounding area is giving me fits!

While I like a challenge, I think I should stick with the smaller efforts such as those I hung in the kitchen, for a while at least.  I'm not thinking of doing more subjects from my fridge, but maybe plants, leaves, and such.  I probably need to take some walks outdoors with my camera and see what little items I can try to paint.

After my walk at the gym I returned the case of Ensure to Costco this morning and did a quick run through the store - I ended up with a gallon of their ice cream, plus a package of some  crepes rolled up around  hazelnut chocolate.  I ate one when I got home and it isn't bad, although it isn't as incredible as I thought it would be.  I will enjoy them once in a while and it's a better substitute for calories than Ensure!  That's the way I look at the ice cream.

I also filled the gas tank as I was running on the last gallon!  I hadn't checked Costco's price lately and was pleased to find it at $2.19/gal.  The Shell station at the corner of my street is still at $2.60, while for some reason Chevron across the corner is $2.75.  What marvelous additive could they have to warrant a 15 cent a gallon increase over Shell's price!

The moon last night was really a beauty.  I got my first glimpse of it in the eastern sky when Donald & Jeannie picked me up to go to Straw Hat.  When I went to bed later on it was shining through my window and onto my pillow which made me feel so good!

I can't remember if I posted anything about Straw Hat when I got home last night, but it was great, as always.   There were two big groups there but we had no trouble finding a big table for ourselves.  One group seemed to be young soccer players, and the other was probably a large family group.  I love how free the kids can be to have a good time there.  If they talk a little loud, then nobody worries about it - there are usually adults talking a little loud as well.  It is truly a family place and it's our good luck they have superb pizza, salad bar, and several beers on tap!

I've rambled on enough for today.  Tomorrow is my last art lesson, so I may not get a blog posted.   I wish there was a true "class" nearby I could attend and learn from scratch, but as it is there are lots of Youtube videos I watch and learn from.  Some are so bad I click them off after 2 or 3 minutes!

15 comments:

  1. Your little paintings are a nice "pop" of color above the white cabinets. They look good there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I sort of like the color in an otherwise bland space. I still think maybe I should have some type of border or frame around them. When I painted them I had no idea I would display them like this or I would have taken the color out to all edges.

      Delete
  2. I think you are doing well with your colorful paintings. The more you work at it the better they will get. Picasso and Rembrandt had to start somewhere too. The Moon has been shining in the window across my bed as well and there is something very magical about that. I keep waiting for Peter Pan to fly in and softly alight at the foot of my bed. I know if I wish hard enough it could maybe happen:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comments, Al. I do enjoy painting and want to get better at it.

      That moonlight was truly magical! I'm glad you also got to sleep in moonbeams. I think it bodes good luck!

      Delete
  3. When I see a piece of art without a mistake, I know that it also has no feelings in it. Go Gal you are doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm determined to not make the same mistakes twice, so there is a good side to it.

      Delete
  4. I really like your paintings up on your wall. They are a beautiful addition to your kitchen. If there is an art center around in Sacramento, often artists who have studios there give lessons. I think you are doing amazingly well. Few things more wonderful than moonlight on your pillow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no doubt places where I could take art classes, but the problem is I'm about calling it quits on driving. I drive locally, within 5 or 6 miles, and make the trip over to my eye doctor or hairdresser when I have to, but that's about it.

      Delete
  5. I like the added color to the kitchen also. Sounds like another good time with the family at Straw Hat Pizza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's nice to see the pictures hanging when I walk into the kitchen. When I started I never thought i would hang anything I painted!

      Straw Hat is one of the best family-oriented restaurants with great food & drink, than any other I know of.

      Delete
  6. I look forward to cooler temperatures. You guys in California pay way too much for gasoline and for everything else as well...it's the price you have to pay for living in paradise.

    Love the pop of color your paintings give the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that we pay too much for everything. Supposedly, they put an additie into the fuel (which we pay extra for) that helps cut down on pollution. Los Angeles is still full of smog on some days, which is probably due to all the cars on the road, plus the way the mountains and sea cause the air to flow. I don't understand it really, but I was plenty happy with $2.19 a gallon!

      The paintings in the kitchen are growing on me and I like having them there.

      Delete
  7. I love your paintings. They just brighten up the whole room. The moon has been incredible and even though it's not shining in my window, it is there every night when I go out to lock up the park gate. It keeps me company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your kind comment on my paintings. I like them the longer they hang there. The moon was something special for everyone, and I felt so much happiness just looking at it and realizing how lucky we were to see it under clear skies.

      Delete
  8. Love your blogs and your paintings! Just curious have you checked YouTube for lessons? I also had to comment on your restaurant experience. You mean families were actually talking and not glued to phones? Not my family!

    ReplyDelete