Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Dentist and photos of painting efforts

I saw the dentist this morning and learned that he needs to pull the last two lower molars I have.  They are adjacent to one another and I decided I may as well have them pulled at the same time and get it over with.  Lord only knows what I will eat, as I'm now down to about 117+ pounds, and without solid food I'll waste away pretty quickly.  I will get out the juicer and probably make much more green juice while I'm healing.  I haven't been making as much as I did because the cost of the ingredients is constantly rising.  I can do without meat and eat mostly fish if I have to.  He thinks it will take approx. 6 wks to heal enough for a partial denture.  I think the dentist in NY who did the upper partial only waited 2 or 3 weeks, but maybe the uppers heal faster,  As long as they leave my front teeth as they are, and I still look like me, then I will try not to complain.

The meatloaf was good last night, as was the meatloaf sandwich I had today at lunch.  When it's gone I won't ever eat meatloaf again and will probably avoid beef for all but rare occasions.  It just doesn't agree with me, and I had a difficult time getting to sleep last night.

I came back home from the dentist and worked on some of the paintings.  I have four of them signed and ready to hang (out of 6).    Had trouble with the signatures until I realized that Bob Ross uses enough thinner to make the paint very watery when signing his paintings.  I will have to add more water in the future.  I have grouped the four ready-to-hang photos, but wonder if I should redo the signatures.  It would be a pain to remove them from the picture and then add them again.  I'd probably have to cover the entire background.  I know I have a long way to go, but when I'm enjoying it so much it doesn't matter to me whether or not my efforts are kindergartner-ish!

Click to enlarge.


Here are the peppers plus the way I've painted them.  I just can't get the shine on them and am about to give up on it.  I may take it with me to my last class two weeks from now.

My effort:  It needs another coat of paint on the top part - supposed to be a shade of ivory but I'm not there yet.




How they are supposed to look:  I'm really unhappy with the way I've painted the yellow one, and it is so beautiful I had to try.


I have also started work on the redo of my river in Alaska, and so far so good.  I'm doing it so much differently now, and will keep the colors lighter than before.  I'm also going to paint it how I want to do it, and not worry about getting every little feature from the photograph.  It may turn out to be too bland, but I will do my best.  One thing in the photo that I probably will have trouble recreating are the beautiful reflections of the trees on either side of the river.  It would be so much easier in oils and doing it the way I've seen Bob Ross do it in so many paintings, but maybe I can figure out a way to compensate.  I think I can paint some passable trees without having to do each individual leaf.  I'm excited about trying it.

It's chilly in my house and after lunch I climbed into bed with my fleece jacket still on.  I had a lovely nap and could have stayed in bed the rest of the day!  I woke up craving ice cream or anything sweet.

15 comments:

  1. Sorry you are having teeth trouble. Not a good thing to go through. Your paintings are really good and not amateurish. Your highlighting is good and most painters have trouble with that aspect but yours is good.. It gives your painting depth and they are good for just starting. Stick with it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comments. I really appreciate them, and they give me hope!

      Delete
  2. The real test of a painting, as far as I am concerned, is if it brings joy to the viewer. I can honestly say that your paintings have brought a lot of joy to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barney, you are so kind to tell me that, and I am grateful. I get much joy from attempting to paint, but can't tell what "the other side" thinks, so thanks again for your input.

      Delete
  3. The peppers look like peppers to me. Why bother with the signatures on the paintings that are finished? With each new one, try something else until you get something you like.

    Maybe this dentist has found it is better to let the mouth heal before fitting dentures. I've always wondered about how much of poorly fitting dentures and partials is caused by not letting the mouth heal before making the impressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I want to do the signature because the 1st instructor I had in Alaska stressed it. Also, because I'm a rebel at heart, being told by the current instructor not to sign a painting just makes me certain to do it! I realize what I'm doing wrong, so the next signatures will look a lot better.

      I have every faith in my dentist - never met anyone like him - and if he tells me to wait 6 wks that's what I'll do.

      Delete
  4. I think your being hard on your paintings !
    There looking good, plus your having fun...... acquiring a new hobby !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been very hard on myself, which a lot of folks probably are. I appreciate your kind words, and I am having fun no matter what!

      Delete
  5. The paintings are real good I sign mine with a sharpie...but mine are oil or watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using a fine brush but not mixing enough water with the paint. I think if I can remedy that I'll be happy. Don't know if I'll go back and try to remove and redo the signatures already on the paintings I have. Knowing me I would chide myself every time I look at them so I will probably try to fix them eventually.

      Delete
  6. Your paintings are coming along nicely. Stop being so critical of your work its all about enjoying it and you seem to be. Those peppers look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been my own worst critic! Can't seem to shake that, even though I also know my strengths as well (and I have lots of strengths, lol!)

      Delete
  7. I am so impressed with these paintings Gypsy. I'd be thrilled if they were mine. I love seeing them. Those 4 would look wonderful in one large frame just the way they are displayed in your picture. Try to think of yourself as Grandma Moses, Grandma Gypsy, whose work is folk art or whatever. Keep at it and you might get "discovered" too. It looks great to me. Really sorry to hear about more teeth pulled. I'm sure ice cream will put on some pounds and make you feel wonderful. I know it does both for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about my painting. I'm still at the stage where they look better to me if I look at them sideways while squinting my eyes!

      Delete
  8. I always remind myself that we have great dentistry these days, that kind of work even 50 years ago would really be bad.

    ReplyDelete