Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, November 17, 2016

C-c-c-cold morning!

I woke up to a house that was 47 degrees this morning!   Checking the 5 day temp info I see we had a low of 38 last night, which is a real drop from what it has been.  Time for me to get out the warmer sheets and maybe even my lightweight blanket.   I actually slept warm last night but getting up in the middle of the night is pure misery.  I was going to say "pure hell", but hell is thought to be "pure hot"!  

I just changed my bed sheets and got out the flannel set I use during the winter.  It's about time for me to buy a new set and I checked online but there are no discount linen stores left in Sacramento now.  I was sorry to see them close Anna's Linens a year or so ago.

I am sitting directly in front  of my space heater which keeps me slightly warm, but think I'm going to have to just get my furnace turned on.  It's amazing what a few minutes of heat will do to bringing the rooms up to a tolerable level, although the bills skyrocket just from having the heat on for 5-10 min. a day.   I don't know how I would pay for any more than that.  I'm tough and can usually get by just dressing warmly, but this morning it feels like the cold is seeping into my bones.   Turning a year older can't make that much of a difference, can it?

Ara and I ate at Chipotle before class.  That makes two eating-out nights in one week - a rarity for me.  Both restaurants have excellent food and lately I am glad when I don't have to cook!  Cooking at home is better than eating at most restaurants and not knowing what kind of additives are in the food, so I try to only go to places I trust - Straw Hat and Chipotle!

The art class went fine last night - everyone welcomed Ara and made her feel at home.  We hadn't been there long when one of the women asked her how old she is.  She told them she is 27, and it turned out the woman was going to say something that was a little on the racy side but thought Ara might only be 16!  I have to laugh because most 16 yr olds could probably shock us oldies, but it was so sweet that they didn't want to say anything that might shock or offend her.

When we were leaving Victoria (the instructor) told me she had us down for next week as well, and I explained that I didn't think I had paid for any more.  She insisted, so I guess we will go back one more evening.  I really can't afford to go every week, and even if I buy some more sessions when they go on sale for half price, I would probably only go once a month now.

I'm hoping to get Ara into the art scene here in Rancho Cordova, and last night was a good start.  Ara is a very good artist, and I want her to see if she can get some of her work accepted to hang in City Hall, and to find out about upcoming events to display her work (and hopefully sell some).

At 10am it's still almost too cold to get dressed, so I'll probably stand in front of my little electric heater I keep in the bathroom.  It is a Lazko that I bought for my RV several years ago and probably needs to be replaced.   I hate having to replace things like the heater - for one thing they just add things and settings I don't need when they update the product.  I don't want or need a remote control for a little heater that is within arm's length of me.   I also have to be careful because some of the space heaters I've tried blow a fuse within minutes of being turned on.

Ok Gypsy, it isn't going to get any easier so just get up and get moving.  It is probably a lot warmer outside than in my house! 

19 comments:

  1. Check out Costco for flannel sheet sets. They usually have them this time of year, and are a good quality/reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in the habit of walking by the bedding in stores because I hate to buy new when the old is still good. But I would like to donate my current set and get something new for myself. I'll try Costco.

      Delete
  2. My mother used to put flannel sheets on all the beds when the Fall season came around. I hated them!! I always liked the coolness of sheets, no matter what the temperature was. Could always put blankets on top of the regular sheets. That would be OK with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call my winter sheets "flannel" but they are actually a jersey knit material and seem to be warmer than cotton. I prefer the feel of cotton sheets too, but it's hard to find something that doesn't have a synthetic blend, or even if it's 100% cotton they do something to the fabric to make it artificially soft.

      When I was single and living in an apartment I took my sheets to a Chinese laundry where they were laundered, starched, ironed and folded. That was total luxury to climb between those sheets!

      Delete
  3. I love cool crisp cotton in the summer time and warm flannel not jersey in the winter. I a Lazko heater that eventually stopped working and when I went to buy another one, it was nearly the same as my original. think you'll find Lazko heaters stay pretty close to their tried and true style and controls. Bet Costco has one. I hate being cold. I actually have an electric blanket that I can turn on low just to warm up the sheets and that's in Florida. HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lasko I bought today is working very well. Now if someone comes over we won't have to sit in direct line with one heater - I can spread the joy! This one came with a remote, and I'm sorry, I just hate it when every electrical device you buy has a remote. How in the world do you keep them all straight. I've already misplaced it!

      I could never use an electric blanket. I warm up pretty quickly once I get into bed, and soon I throw off everything except the top sheet as I sleep so warm.

      Delete
  4. I received a comment for yesterday's post and I will just answer it here as I doubt very few people will be reading the older blog.
    ******************
    carol pavlik has left a new comment on your post "Turning cooler":

    Love your blogs and your paintings! Just curious have you checked YouTube for lessons? I also had to comment on your restaurant experience. You mean families were actually talking and not glued to phones? Not my family!
    ********************

    My response: I look at YouTube and have found quite a few "lessons" although to really learn from a teacher you need to be togther, where questions can be asked and answered on the spot. The internet is good for many things, and I learn a lot from it, but in my case I really wish I had a real live teacher who would start with me from the very beginner's point of view.

    My family, and most of the customers at Straw Hat are so busy having fun they don't often look at their phones. I saw my granddaughter trying to get a discrete look at her phone but she was probably checking to see if her "sweetie" had left her a message. He is half way across the country so I don't complain about her wanting to get a msg from him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm Maybe my 149 sq ft of insulated living area is a good thing when it comes to heating and cooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in a 34' 5th wheel I found it much easier to heat, although I didn't use the house furnace. That's when I bought my 1st Lasko heater which I could move about to where I needed it. I managed to move into a cooler area during the heat of summer. I'm sure you have a great thing going when it comes to heating and cooling!

      Delete
  6. That is pretty cool. Hope it is not going to be a long winter for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cold hit yesterday ours hit last night. Yes it was sure cold in the house. It was 31 this morning outside I didn't want to know what it was in the house. Turned on the little electric wood stove in the computer room much to Fred's delight after his outs this morning. I'm with you I always shopped at Ann'a for things like linens. I guess I'll put my new flannel sheets on today too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slept well last night with the knit sheets, the thermal blanket and my regular comforter. I may end up getting the down comforter out although it is so warm I usually can't stay under it for long.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that is a drastic drop in temperatures. My mother and I love flannel sheets and use them year around. I would buy them at Target during January white sales at a very reasonable price.

    So glad to hear that Ara and you are getting to do so many things together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at sheets at Target and never find what I want - there is something about the way they package them I think. But I need another warm set of sheets.

      Delete
  9. I'm heading to the storage unit today to get my heater. The propane furnace works in my small motorhome but I have to unhook and drive to get the propane filled so I try mot to use much. When I get my next electric bill I may change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it being much more economical to run my Lasko heater now and then rather than use the propane. I can't remember but I don't think I ran it constantly. The RV warmed up pretty quickly.

      Delete
  10. I finally broke down and bought two new sets of flannel sheets last month in Canada. The ones I had were pretty much worn. Anyway I washed them before putting them on the beds and wow did they ever shrink. I have to get JB to put the fitted one on for me and I am scared it is going to rip it is so tight. I hope you get your heat problems sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would return them if they rip. They are supposed to fit tight but not that tighyt.

      Delete