Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, November 25, 2016

The day after

I slept late this morning (late for me), and ended up back at Jeannie's house for leftovers.  I think Steve & Meg are bringing the baby to see her since she can't get around (still wearing the cast on her foot), and I may buy a surgical mask and drive over so I can see the baby as well.   It would make me feel better and I'm sure the parents would feel safer as well.

After a big plate of leftovers and several hours visiting, I came home and took a long nap.  I think I'll try to go to sleep earlier tonight so I can wake up at my normal time tomorrow.  I also would like to go to the gym, as I did this morning, and get back in the habit of walking every day.

I'm trying to sketch at least a little bit most every day but today just got away from me.   

If anyone has a suggestion for what I can eat or drink to get some calories in me when I can't chew I'd sure appreciate hearing it.   I CANNOT abide yogurt!  So that's out.  I'm probably going to end up making puddings, but they have more sugar than I would prefer.  Also my protein shakes and ice cream are on the menu.   I have gotten so lazy I never mash potatoes any more - just cube and boil them, and top them with cheddar.     I never peel them but I think I will have to at least right after surgery, and then they would be easy enough to mash.  I should get my juicer out and talk Ara into making it for me.  I don't do much juicing these days because the price of vegetables (organic) seem to have gone through the roof, at least in the quantities needed for extracting the juice.

This is going to be a helluva way for me to go through December and the holidays, but I want to get it over with before I get much worse.   Six months ago I felt great and had energy to do things I wanted to do, and I wonder if I'll ever get it back.

 On cold days like today I am so grateful to have found the Puma sweat pants.  They are so warm and comfortable compared to any I've had in years, and are worth every bit of the cost.

If I get any energy at all back I'm going to have to straighten my house, if I don't do a full cleaning job.  Everywhere I look I have sketch books and pencils, tubs of paints and supplies, and you name it.   At least I know where everything is but when I straighten it all up and put things away I won't remember where anything is!

It looks like three days of rain coming up and even lower temperatures.  When I cross the American River I can't see that there is any more water in it than usual.  Someone was out there on a raft when I crossed today, and that has to be cold so close to the water!

I'm rambling on and on so I'll just say goodnight and wish everyone a great weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Why don't you call dentist and get started on antibiotics before your visit so your gums aren't so inflamed. Otherwise he might tell you to do the drugs before he can even work on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He knows there is inflammation and may or may not presribe the antibiotics after he pulls the molars. I'm not really keen on taking antibiotics unless it is totally necessary.

      Delete
  2. I had a lot of mashed potatoes left over from Thanksgiving and really dislike the old refrigerated potato taste, so I decided to make an old-fashioned potato casserole. The cold mashed potatoes from the fridge, sour cream, finely minced onion, grated cheese, a couple of slices of left over bacon minced, salt and pepper. I threw it in a casserole dish, covered it with more shredded cheese and paprika and put it in the toaster oven until everything was melted. It slid down my throat and my husband bragged on it. I'm sure it has plenty of calories. Creamed soups (i.e. mushroom, celery) are good. Guess this involves a lot of cooking, but maybe you can make some ahead and if you don't have the freezer space maybe one of your children will help out. Applesauce is good and your delicious puddings. If you have a blender you can do smoothies. Poached or soft cooked (pastured) eggs maybe? I'm thinking it would be good to have some things prepared ahead if you can.

    I'm hoping you get through this okay and am so happy you can the warm Puma sweats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing. Your recipe sounds delicious and like something I would love, so I will save it and try it out. I'll let the real shoppers have the stores this weekend, but on Monday I'll start looking for things I'll be able to eat later. My main problem will be that I love the crunchy barely-cooked vegetables and other foods, rather than mushy smooth stuff! I'll just have to deal with it.

      Delete
  3. typing too fast . . . glad you have the warm Puma sweats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm becoming convinced it's the computer and not you or me. I have always been an excellent typist but now I am continually missing letters - I think it doesn't help if we type fast because the keyboard doesn't keep up with us.

      Delete
  4. Well let's see, if I wanted to gain weight without chewing, I would drink lots of milk shakes, make lots of mashed potatoes with lots of butter, a peanut butter milkshake would be lots of calories, check the calories on canned soups like clam chowder or any creamy soup. When I had my mouth wired shut after jaw surgery I just took all the food I cooked for David and put it in the food processor until it was mush and "drank" it. Tasted great but I sure was glad to get those wire off after 11 weeks of no chewing. I love crunchy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll figure something out, although it's getting so that I just won't go to much trouble to do anything, which I'm sure is made worse by the infection. I drink a lot of protein shakes when I go to the gym, and I don't think I could deal with more than one a day. I've thought about chocolate milk shakes with vanilla ice cream in them. My blender is going to get a good workout! Now to look for organic soups that I can eat. Next week I'll need to do some serious grocery shopping!

      Delete
  5. Glad you could enjoy the holiday with your dental issues:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, and I even went back for leftovers the day after. Might as well fill up now while I can!

      Delete