Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, November 5, 2016

6 Paintings Finished

At least they are as finished as I'm going to get them.  I'm a little disappointed in the squash but I think the actual painting looks better than the photo; I'm not really happy with the painting either.   I'm going to have to change my signature to something that flows a little easier.   I used a very thin paint and a tiny brush, and it still comes out looking clunky.  Oh well, I'll post a photo of the squash because I know most of you won't be more critical than I am myself!    (Click to enlarge)


Now to hang them in the kitchen.  They will be high enough to prevent critical examination, at least from me.

Next I worked on the one I tried to paint from a photo taken in Alaska.  Here is a copy of the photo, in case you've forgotten what  it looked like.  I should never have tried it in the first place, but the reflection in the water blew me away by it's beauty and effect on the scene.





I soon knew the scene was too dark and suggested that I make autumn the season so I could add some color to the trees.  That suggestion was nixed, and my effort went from bad to worse.  I eventually set it aside and went to work on the items from my fridge - easier to paint if not as esthetically pleasing.

Well, I decided I would try to at least modify the Bob Ross method for painting trees (it can't be done).  Then I thought I would add a bit of color - just a little gold and red to the "trees" - there is no defined tree in my entire picture.  It's gone from bad to worse, but it is so bad I actually like it and it makes me smile.  I guess it's the bit of color I dabbed in there.  Nothing on either side of the river looks like a tree, so I don't think I will even try to add some tree trunks.  All I have to do now is to decide whether or not to try the reflection, and if I do, which brush should I use.   Get ready for a laugh!




Don't the "trees" look like they have Christmas lights on them?   I have the feeling that one of these days I'm going to try painting in oils, as I understand there are new products that may be safer and easier to clean up.    Can't do it for a while yet.  (Bob Ross reflections in the water don't work in acrylics either).

I could hear a little voice in my ear this morning that sounded like my dentist's voice, urging me to go to the gym.  I did and enjoyed the walk!  Now I need to begin doing some minor exercises here at home such as lifting some light weights, etc.

Looking at what I've painted so far, I realize that I have a long way to go with mixing colors.  I guess it's a matter of practice, trial and error, and I am still in the "error" stage.

I bet a lot of readers wish I would take a trip and get off the painting kick!  I don't blame you

 

17 comments:

  1. I like that last painting the best. Keep up the good work as long as it is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of like that one myself - the one with the Christmas lights on the riverbanks!

      Delete
  2. Hello again, I must give you some great credit for trying something new, such as painting. Oils are easier to paint with as they take much longer to dry so you can work with them for a longer period of time. I haven't painted for years but I think you might encourage me to dab in it once again. If my paints haven't dried out lol.. Have you ever seen Donna Dewberry's method of painting? it's quite different and usually the results come about quite nicely. Again she usually paints with acrylics and if you load your brush with a lot of paint, miracles happen !!!! Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and encouragement. I can honestly say I love trying to paint, and so far my lack of talent hasn't gotten in the way of the enjoyment I'm experiencing. I've watched some Donna Dewberry youtubes as well as checked out a book of hers from the library. There are so many artists, methods, books, etc., it can get overwhelming. I've probably learned more from watching Bob Ross - I'm going series by series of his TV programs. What I'm learning from him is to be patient with myself, learning to put what I like into a picture and leave out something I don't care for - as he is fond of saying, "It's your world and you can do anything you want in it." I will eventually try working with oils.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear that you love what you are doing, that's the main thing. Who knows ya might end up like another, uh was it Grandma Moses??? lololol I think my style would be impressionist, as now I am older details don't come to mind so much. I used to watch Bob Ross years ago and have tried his method I think the best part was whacking the paint brush to get it clean. It sure made a mess too lol...Perhaps it's time for me to check my paints out Gypsy.... You truly inspire me !!!!

      Delete
  3. The squash looks like a Van Gogh painting from late in his career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored to hear that. Wish I had his talent, but maybe someday I will try "Starry Night".

      Delete
  4. Your painting of your Alaska photo is really good. You sure did capture what you saw and the little added color gave it the life I think you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jo. What turns out to look like Christmas lights maks me smile every time I look at tht painting.

      Delete
  5. Keep painting! Write about it, too. I really like the Alaska painting. It doesn't have to be photo-realistic to be enjoyed and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. You always say the right thing, and I like what you say about paintings not having to be photo-realistic.

      Delete
  6. Although I have read and enjoyed your blog for years I have rarely if ever commented on it and I should have because I appreciate the time and effort you put in to publish it so regularly.
    It sometimes takes years to adequately perfect a new skill. I know because I took up playing the guitar ten or twelve years ago and it took me years to feel I was good enough to play in public. I am still learning and trying to play better and I practice most every day.
    Here you are, just a few months into painting, and you are already brave enough to “play in public”. We often are our own greatest critics. I think you are making progress and I too think this last painting shows it. Keep on having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cletus, for taking the time to write and for your wonderful comments. I wish you much success in your musical efforts, and I'm going to hang in there with my artistic efforts. Your comments have certainly pumped up my enthusiasm!

      Delete
    2. I really like your style Gypsy and you are progressing so fast. The Alaska painting draws me into the mountains.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Janet. I really wanted to do a good painting of Alaska because it is such a beautiful place. It's a lot more complex than I thought however, but I'm glad you like my attempt. Painting isn't easy for me, but I try to compensate for talent with enthusiasm! And I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I do.

      Delete
  7. I like the Alaska painting too and just love hearing how much pleasure painting gives you. That's what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the Alaska painting too and just love hearing how much pleasure painting gives you. That's what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete