Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, November 18, 2016

Trying to stay warm

I'm trying my best to stay warm, but have found out I can only run one heater at a time!   I blew a fuse in short order this morning when I tried to heat the bathroom as well as where I sit in the living room.   I looked at the furnace thinking maybe I could light it myself but there are a number of steps - push the red button, turn the white dial - and so on.  I have to see something head on rather than at an angle to be able to read it, and most of those instructions are down in the lower area of the furnace.  Even with my head on the floor I don't think I could do it, so I called the office to see in the maintenance guy could light it for me.  He did it last year and it only takes a minute if you know what you are doing.   If I could afford it I would go stay in a motel for a few nights, but I think it's going to rain over the weekend and temps will stay much lower.  I'd need at least a few weeks in that motel.

I spent a lot of time yesterday going to different stores looking for women's sweat pants.  Do you know they don't sell them any more?  They sell flimsy fleece lounge pants (that remind me of pajama bottoms); they sell pants that sit below the belly button, and other types of pants only the younger people would wear, but no regular sweats with drawstring at waist and pockets.  I was delighted when I opened an email ad from Costco this morning which featured men's Puma sweat pants:  drawstring waist, pockets, straight legs - just what I wanted.  The biggest problem with buying the men's version is that the pants legs are way too wide and balloon out over my skinny legs.  I no longer care about that, and as soon as I can leave the house (assuming the maintenance guy will show up today) I'm going to Costco and buy several pairs.   I wish I could order some from an east coast Costco as they are much more substantial and heavier.  Those sold in CA are flimsy and light weight - probably because the weather isn't as cold as elsewhere.

My bed was so warm and comfy last night with the knit sheets, thermal blanket, and comforter.  I may get my down comforter out if it stays this cold, although the down is supremely warm and I would end up having to throw it off me during the night.

My painting and even sketching has come to a standstill.  I'm discouraged with both things I have going - the Alaska river and the Irish farmhouse.  I worked on the Alaska one at class and I think I've really ruined it again.  I should never listen to what anyone tells me to do, and just go with what I  think.  Then if it's messed up I can only blame myself.  I watched a video this morning on painting a tree with acrylics and it looks like something I'd like to try, but other than that I think I've hit a brick wall for a little while.

I think I'm going to make some chicken soup today.  That will warm up the kitchen, will fill the house with a good aroma, and will use a lot of the veggies I bought recently.     The best part is that it will taste so good! 

UPDATE:
Maintenance can no longer do the pilot lights and they told me I would have to call PG&E.  If I had seen Mike and asked him personally I'm sure he would have come in and had it going in no time, but I called the office.

I sketched some palm trees in the distance which I've always wanted to do but never had the nerve.  Would you believe I had to google palm fronds to make sure which way they spiked!  This is a very light sketch and probably won't show up very well.  Maybe if you click to enlarge it you might be able to view it a little better.  Back to the drawing board!



 

20 comments:

  1. Have you tried watercolor painting I'm thinking maybe the way you like to paint that water color might work better for you just a thought might be worth a try hope it warms up for you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a basic set of watercolors but haven't tried them yet. One of these days.

      Delete
  2. Hey girl, you need a respite from trying to paint a picture. Get yourself into practice mode and paint a tree on one sheet of paper. Just the tree. No sky, background or nothing else. Then paint a rock on another. Then choose another item and paint it. Be sure that there is not an attempt to turn the practice item into a full painting. Acrylics work on most junk surfaces like brown paper bags, scrap cardboard, old envelopes so your surfaces are free. Just keep practicing moving your hands with a brush in them. Several trees of different sizes can be painted on one scrap of paper. Keep them brushes moving. It will quickly show up how much you improve. I like to intermingle pencil drawing amongst my painting practice. It keeps things more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barney, this is scary. This morning I watched a short video on How to Paint a Tree in Acrylics. I have sketched it out and if I ever get my house warm I am going to paint that tree. I realize I do better with basic, uncomplicated subjects rather than a complete scene.

      Delete
    2. Very well done palm trees. I have lots of trouble with palm trees.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Barney. They probably wouldn't pass muster if you looked at them up close, but I was surprised they came out as identifiable as palm trees!

      Delete
  3. Keep that cold weather over your way. Please don't send it to Texas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this cold weather was coming from Texas and was going to say don't send any more!

      Delete
    2. I am in Rockport TX and my AC is on right now!

      Delete
    3. I can't believe it is actually a/c weather in the U.S. Enjoy it!

      Delete
    4. Now it is 2150 in Rockport Tx and my electric heater is turned on.

      Delete
    5. It gets chilly when the sun goes down. Stay warm!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe they won't let the maintenance guy light your pilot light. Good Grief! What is that all about. I have been trying for over a year to find sweat pants but I want them with the elastic at the bottom so that they will not drag on the ground since I'm so short. I was told Haynes makes them and I should look on line. Have you looked about having them sent to you if you know your size??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably has something to do with liability. HOA's and government are getting into every facet of life here, so I'm not surprised.

      I was very discouraged looking online for any brand, at any store. The ones currently sold as women's sweat pants aren't like what you or I are looking for, unless you like wearing them below the navel! (Just kidding). They are awful and are sold now as lounge pants which is a better description.

      The men's Puma's I bought are a nice heavyweight fleece, large side pockets, tapered legs. No elastic around the bottom but they do taper nicely. They are way too big in the thighs, and I'm thinking about stitching them a little smaller, and they will be perfect!

      I just tried on a pair and will need to exchange Med. for Large, as they are too short. Very nice fit, but snug which may be because I have longjohns on. I think I will go back to Costco in the morning and hold up the Med to the Large and see which I think will fit best. If I kept the Mediums I wouldn't need to take in the upper leg area as it doesn't look baggy at all. They are Puma brand and cost more than Hanes but are certainly better made.

      Delete
  5. Well, I like the palm trees ...... Good ones !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I see them constantly in the distance from my front door and have always thought about trying to sketch them. I enjoyed doing them, although I wish I had made the drawing darker. I didn't think I would be putting it on my blog, and I usually sketch very lightly.

      Delete
  6. I have so many pairs of sweat pants it isn't funny. When I had my place in the mountains I had bought plenty for up there and of course I had bought them for down in Tucson. I always found them at Walmart or the Family Dollar store.I like the men's best because of the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why clothing mfrs think women don't use or want pockets. I usually don't know where my phone is, but when I do know it is either in my purse or in my pocket. And I'm not even a phone person!

      Delete
  7. I always buy mens sweat pants love having pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always bought men's sweats as well but they are so baggy, so about a year ago I bought some women's. I hated the lack of pockets.

      Delete