Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Saga of the sweatpants!

I now own 6 pr., as I went to Costco this morning intending to go inside and measure the Mediums against the Large, and possibly returning the Med. that I bought yesterday (I left them in a bag in the car).  It's a good thing I couldn't tell by holding them up in the store, so I bought 3 in Size L.   Trying them on at home made up my mind pretty quickly to keep the Large (I'm wearing one now) and returning the Mediums next time I go back to Costco.  The Large feels more comfortable in the waist, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the inseam although it might be a fraction of an inch, and while the thighs are a bit larger I don't really care.  They fit and look much better than the Hanes men's sweats.  The pockets are wonderful as well as the tapered legs.  (Sherry, I think you might find the length to be fine - you can probably wear small or xtra small, which would shorten the legs up a bit.)  With the $4 off original price offered by Costco, the cost is about twice what I could find Hanes for at Walmart, but the Puma brand are so much better in fit and quality they are worth it.

From there I made a trip to Target - why is it they never have enough cashiers and the lines are long and slow.  I bought only a few items, including the Chiquita bananas that I went there specifically for.   I don't know what Dole and DelMonte do to their bananas but they sure lack the sweet flavor of Chiquita.  And I just love saying the name "Chiquita" !

I can't go to Target without a stop at Michaels at the other end of the parking lot.  I bought a set of sketching pencils - I have two but one is very dark and the other is light, and I need some that are in between.  They were on sale, as were two other items I bought.  I really have to stay out of that store because if I go in to buy one simple item, I always find other things I need (can use/would like to have).

When I came out of Target the rain was pouring down.  Of course I was parked far away from the entrance, as I always do wherever I shop in order to get a bit more exercise.  I finally decided I wouldn't melt and just walked into the rain.  We need it and I don't complain about it although I have an excellent crop of weeds already.

My daughter is having foot surgery on Monday so I'm going over tomorrow morning to drink coffee with her (maybe work the NYT crossword) and just try to reassure her about the operation.  I had a bunion removed when I was just a couple of years older than she is now.  Worst thing I ever did - it was fine for a lot of years but has gotten so bad again that it hurts to walk.  It isn't so much the bunion but the displacement of other bones years after the surgery.

I didn't make the chicken vegetable soup yesterday so I just finished it this morning.  Mmmmm good!  My fridge looks a lot emptier.

The rain looks like it will be around for a while, but the overnight temp looks to be a bit warmer as well.  I'll take that!


19 comments:

  1. FYI.. getting Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabric coupons are worth it and they are interchangeable meaning that Jo-Ann's will take Michaels and Michaels will take Jo-Ann's you can sign up for them in this Jo-Ann store and I know that Michaels is in the Sunday paper but they also have an app on the smartphone I don't know what kind of phone you have but I use them all the time I don't buy anything unless I get a deal and they usually have really good ones with the coupons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, I get Michaels ad every day in my email, and don't buy anything unless it's a deal. I rarely get anything extra though - even though I'm supposedly in their Rewards program it seems I never qualify for 70% off anything! Todoay their store smelled so good and spicy - like Christmas!

      Delete
  2. My wife really likes to shop at Michaels and also Hobby Lobby. Between the two of them, they have anything you need in art supplies, yarn, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Michael's store near me - only two miles or so from my house. Hobby Lobby is way across town in traffic so I've never been there and don't intend to go. I've been to other Michaels I didn't like as well as the one near me, which is a real benefit to me.

      Delete
  3. Art supplies= Dick Blick for the good stuff and yes the artist quality is worth the cost I have found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning when I didn't know how I would do or how long I would be interested, I bought Artist Loft (beginners) paints, brushes, etc. Not that they are bad or anything, but I've decided that as I replace items I'm going to upgrade. I will also try to buy fewer colors and do more mixing of the basics. In the beginning I thought I'd take the easy way out and buy all the colors. But you still can't use gray right out of the tube, nor any other color, so you still do a bit of mixing to get the shade you want. This is a real learning process for me, and I wish I had had an opportunity to be taught everything from scratch.

      Delete
    2. "wish I had had an opportunity to be taught everything from scratch."
      It is NEVER too late! I think if you search BEFORE pouring out money that you may find a good art teacher. Looking at Michael's scheduled classes, I was astonished - $25 for one class? I recently bought ArtLoft colored pencils. They are so-so; the tips break too easily which sure can cause problems. I use a pocket knife instead of a sharpener - works better. PrismaColor is my favorite but there are places online that are selling some 'duds' like E-Bay and Craigslist and Amazon. Be cautious here. BUT I forget, you are in California where prices are high. I bet you would find many resources in Asheville (only IF). It's an artists' conclave. Also, I've found working with one of those coloring books is helping me in controlling my hand Whew, it is bitter cold here (NE TN)high only in the 30's today, wind outrageous - I'm in desperate need for some 'Woolies'! Stick with your learning - daily will bring you satisfaction. The key is to practice, practice, practice, one point at a time. I'm proud of you, Gypsy! For your efforts and want-to-learn. This is great.

      Delete
    3. I won't go anywhere else for classes, for one thing I can't drive through a lot of traffic and with Michael's only 2 miles from me I thought it was great.

      I need to get my act together and in the meantime I'm just going to do some sketching and looking around for easy subjects to paint. No big scenes any more. I may try to salvage the Irish farmhouse sometime in the future because the house didn't turn out too badly, just the surrouding area. I'm not feeling up to par lately and shouldn't take on anything ambitious.

      Delete
  4. Happy to hear your found the right sweat pants for you. I put the flannel sheets on today and of course it isn't going to be a cold here either.
    Wishing your daughter well on her surgery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I love the sweat pants, even though I probably paid double what I normally spend on them. It's worth it because of the comfort, the fit, the pockets, the straight legs which look much better.

      I will see my daughter in the AM and will pass along your good wishes. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I got curious how far north of me you are located. You are over 700 miles north of Rockport Tx. That is like the middle of Kansas latitude. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The climate is totally different than the middle of Kansas though. Sacramento is probably considered Central CA although I think of it as Northern, as compared to San Diego or L.A.

      Delete
  6. They do not make women's sweat pants like they use to but I still have my old ones...somewhere in my old camping van or in mother's non-working mini van :-(

    I did not expect it to get this cold tonight,it is expected to get down to 35 degrees. I need to go to Houston and bring my two electric heaters and some winter clothes!

    Wishing Jeannie well on her upcoming operation. You are such a great mom, I am sure your support is very much appreciated at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like it's getting cold earlier this year. we're going to be in the 50's and 60's for about the next month, and probably after that. I'd go to Houston and get the heaters and winter things if I were you.

      Delete
  7. Surgery is always worrisome. Best wishes to Jeannie. Glad you found your sweatpants. I never pay to shop even at Costco. There never was one nearby in Virginia and I don't think I've happened on one on the road. Florida is about the only place I go where I'm ever near cities and they seem mostly to be in big ones. I appreciate knowing what brand to look for. Thank you. Maybe I can find them on line. I hate to shop anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surgery is always worrisome. Best wishes to Jeannie. Glad you found your sweatpants. I never pay to shop even at Costco. There never was one nearby in Virginia and I don't think I've happened on one on the road. Florida is about the only place I go where I'm ever near cities and they seem mostly to be in big ones. I appreciate knowing what brand to look for. Thank you. Maybe I can find them on line. I hate to shop anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like the Puma brand. I'm thrilled to have found it, as they are everything Hanes is NOT.

      Delete
  9. There is no escape from worry when you are facing any surgery. In my case it is closer to total panic:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see the worry in my daughter today, but this time tomorrow she will be recovering and on the road to being well.

      Delete