Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, November 13, 2016

New Zealand Earthquake

New Zealand was hit with a 7.8 magnitude earthquake, reportedly the largest in 50 years!   This is followed by a tsunami to add to the problems.  So far I've seen reports of 2 deaths, but there are no doubt many more.

One of our bloggers lives in Christchurch, NZ; her blog is "Growing Older Gracefully", and can be found in my blog list to the right.  She hadn't posted in approx. 2 months, so I wrote to ask her how she fared through this earthquake.  She responded and described the rolling motion that went on for over 2 minutes - a long time when you have no idea when it will stop.  I think she and her husband fared better than many,  and I hope her children and extended family are all safe.  NOTE:  I just see that Anne has updated her blog and you can read her latest post.
 
Please remember Anne in your thoughts and prayers, as well as the people of NZ who have been devastated by this very powerful quake, and the following tsunami.  This is likely the beginning of a series of quakes that will spread throughout the area, eventually making their way to our west coast/Central/South America.

I will post my regular blog later, if I have anything to say.  So far I'm being lazy and just trying to talk myself into taking a walk at Mather (former AFB).

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the earthquake info. I was glad to hear the update from Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so relieved that they had no worse problems than they did. That was a very strong earthquake.

      Delete
  2. First Italy now New Zealand. Sure hope the San Andreas isn't part of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say we are probably in the middle. Earthquakes in the West Pacific generally move east (or I should say the upheavel and turmoil in the earth that causes them). This current event isn't over by a long shot.

      Delete