Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Win some, Lose some

The win part is that I woke up during the night and this morning virtually free of the abdominal pain I have had since my operation.  What a relief, and I just hope it holds out.  I should feel energized and do all sorts of things around the house that need to be done, right?  Wrong!  I finally convinced myself it's ok for me to lounge around as long as I want to, so that's what I'm doing today.  Other than fixing meals, that is.

But on the "Lose" side of the equation I am developing a chest cold, and I would worry about it turning into pneumonia if I hadn't had a vaccine last year.  I suppose there are other lung issues I can worry about.  I picked up a cough somewhere, probably from the grandkids who all go to school or preschool, except Arianna, and her big sister Autumn no doubt brings the germs home from her school.  I won't miss the chance to be with my grandchildren when possible, so it's just a crap shoot, more or less.

I did make it to the grocery yesterday and bought lots of Haagen Dazs ice cream!  I don't know what it will do to my cholesterol levels (and don't really worry too much about it), but if I dared eat a pint a day I would have my weight back in no time1!  That stuff is soooo good and soooo rich.

I've been forwarding Joe the congratulatory comments, and he appreciates each and every one.  Thank you all so much.  He went back to school a number of years ago and wanted to enter the RT program back then.  There are such a limited number of spaces that they are given out on a lottery basis.  Each year he took college courses towards a degree while hoping to "win the lottery", and at long last he was accepted into the program.  As I understand it, there are so few qualified teachers available for the program that they can't expand classes to meet the demand.  I'm not sure why this is but possibly potential instructors can make more money by working in the field?  At any rate, Joe also completed the requirements for an Associate of Science degree, and hopes to go back fairly soon to get the Bachelor of Sci. degree. 

The past couple of days I've been filled with a longing to see my two grandsons in New York.  Of course that is impossible now, and for now I am not committing to going any distance this year.  That will no doubt change as I get to feeling better.  I have to renew my driver's license in South Dakota in November - a long way off - but at that time of year I'll have to travel there and back by plane.  I might as well not get that far ahead of myself and just try to live for today!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Gypsy. When I told you about my gall bladder surgery, I did not tell you this. When I went for my post-op checkup to get paperwork to be able to return to teaching, I will never forget the shocked look on my doctor's face when he checked my lungs. I had pneumonia! So I was forced to stay home an extra week. Coincidence? I do hope you are spared that! Meanwhile, eat all the ice cream you can take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to have my ice cream every night. Not that I need to gain weight, it is just that I love it. I always get Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream. The best in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they have Blue Bell in California? I think it's the best too.

    You know, you can renew your license early in SD. You could do it on your way back from Tamarac! Ha ha ha! I'm not pressuring you, just couldn't pass up the chance to insert that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can thank my grands for regular visits of the crud. Watched two of them tonight for a few hours and the two year old was coughing amd sneezzing all over the play. I guess they think grandpa can take it:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gypsy have you tried to use one of those video conferring like Yahoo or others. Maybe you could do it at one of your children home ? Glad to hear your feeling better and don't think Sick...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old timey cold/cough hint that even my doctor does.
    Just before going to bed rub Vick's on the bottom of your feet then put on heavy socks.

    I hope the cold slides over and leaves you alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Vick's trick was told to me by a friend who swears it works. Wish I would have remembered that when I got the crud. Zicam is really good if you start it right away.

    Eat ice cream for me too please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Vick's trick was told to me by a friend who swears it works. Wish I would have remembered that when I got the crud. Zicam is really good if you start it right away.

    Eat ice cream for me too please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, Vicks and ice cream should just about cure all ills... I think so.

    Going to be 12 degrees in the morning... extremely glad I'm retired.

    hope you sleep well ... nasty stuff

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup... A prescription of rest and ice cream each day sounds good! Doctors Orders!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please add my congratulations to the newly-minted therapist! Joe looked so happy in his graduation picture that you posted. It was easy to see that this was a real triumph for him! Yay !!!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete