Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Hangin' in there

I walked again this afternoon, about twice as far as yesterday which still isn't very much, but it's a start.  I can't say I feel all that great for doing it, but I know it's necessary while I'm getting enough strength back to go to the gym.

Most of the morning, as just about every morning, I spend a lot of time reading backpackers' and hiking websites.  As anyone who reads my blog will know that my last faint dream is to be able to get back out on the trail for a multi-day hike, carrying everything I need in a backpack.  You probably realize, as I am beginning to realize, that it's very doubtful that I'll ever be able to do that again.  But I'll keep on dreaming, and keep on working out to get in shape for it.

I am currently fixated on an excellent website provided by a former Glacier Park official - everything you need to know about hiking and backpacking in Glacier.  Wow, I thought!  This is exactly what I'd love to do.  But this morning I came to the section on grizzly encounters!  I have to say I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for going into the Glacier backcountry unless I found a group of at least 3 others to hike with.

Add to the grizzly problems, I have read a lot about mountain lion sightings in the west (including the American River Parkway near where I live) as well as an increasing number of sightings in the Appalachians and just about everywhere in between.

In all the time I've spent in the eastern mountains and forests, alone most of the time except for my dog, Smoky, I've never worried about a black bear encounter.  I've seen plenty of them when I lived in Asheville, NC, and they will almost always give you a warning or else clear out before you know they are there.  But grizzlies and mountain lions - I think my 73 yr old heart wouldn't live through an encounter!  But I can still dream, can't I?

Thanks to everyone who wrote about my TV dilemma.  I have an analog TV which I love - perfect screen size for me.  What I would need is a converter box and some sort of antenna, both of which should be cheaper than buying a flat screen which I DON"T like.  I just think the screen on the flat ones look squeezed from top to bottom, and spread out from side to side.  I guess you can get used to it if you have to, but since I will never be much interested in TV why should I try to get used to it?  I just want something for occasional viewing while I'm recuperating at home, or on rainy days.  As soon as I can, I will go to Best Buy and see what they might have in the way of converter box and antenna.  No, I don't like to order stuff online when I don't understand it to begin with, how it works, how to hook it up, etc.  I want to hold the item in my hands and look at it, and talk to someone who can explain what I should do with it.  Ya just can't teach an old dog new tricks, as the saying goes.

11 comments:

  1. I have a few programs I watch on my iPad and have gotten used to the small screen. You can do the same thing on your computer where the screen is probably bigger. Maybe you could try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tv in my loom room is analog.... Converter box at walmart for $19. Very basic easy to understand instructions. but you do need some kind of antenna. If the local tv stations are close, an indoor one near a window should work. Basically you leave the tv on channel 3 and use the remote on the converter box to change channels. Wish I lived there, I could hook it up for you.

    *
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a DVD or even a video player hitched up to your TV? Libraries have a good selection of documentaries or series that may be interesting to you. Just a thought.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are able to increase your walking, that's a good sign. Don't give up your dream. You just never know, with the will, there may well be a way despite our age. I think you are right about the flat screen squeeze. I have one of each. Flat in the bedroom and analog in the LR in Winnona. Don't watch either one much but I notice it too. I think those who don't have analog any more have forgotten. Does this remind you of 1984???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dreaming is good. Why shouldn't dream big that's what keeps us going the dream, what ever it is.

    Yes the converter was what I was telling you about last night. Try it you'll like it.

    A little extra walking at a time is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are being confused about "aspect ratio." The flat screens make a big deal about what the ratios are for screen size. At first they were all 4 x 3, now you have 6 x 9, plus other sizes. On the aspect ratio setting you can set to zoom, stretch and normal. You have to choose the one you like. And you often have to change when you change channels, or even programs on the same channel. If you go to Best Buy, let them show you the choices available on a flat screen TV. Some choices will chop of the outside edges of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may be working near Yellowstone this year and read all of the same stuff about hiking in groups of 4. I will have to hope some other workers will want to hike with me or I will have to pay to go out with a tour group. Keep dreaming, you may be able to do a little backpacking. I think it is great that you went to the gym and will return when you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming … and lots of times?~ they come true ;) … I sure do hope to go back to the Asheville area … go through the Smokies again.

    how the living breathing hell can you love an analog TV … lol.. y'kill me.

    I know you like YouTube … lots of good stuff on there, for sure… but it does take up a bit of data usage. When I didn't have TV, I went to the library and checked out a lot of DVDs … there were sets of entire series … I love Masterpiece Theater ~ so many series… and the libraries have them.

    all manner of stuff I checked out from educational to fun to British comedies and concerts … great way to watch shows. You have a DVD player? or slip it into your laptop … I know you don't like watching TV on your laptop but maybe a DVD?

    This way with your dislike of TV regular programming, you can pick and choose and need no extra data usage! howzat?

    I went online and checked which library had whatever it was I wanted to see… plus, it was great fun just going in and browsing the shelves of DVDs. I like libraries period.

    How about a little bluegrass…. Lester and Earl scrapping over Pearl… HAHaaaa

    http://youtu.be/fGdv10AMj6Q

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto on library DVD's! I found the whole series of "Pillars of the Earth", which we had just finished watching from Netflix. Would have been so much better to use the library's copy!

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1453159/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

    This was an excellent look at and education about the times depicted. There is a follow-on series 150 years later of descendants of the first group that was also incredibly informative and enjoyable.

    It is called "World Without End"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Without_End_(miniseries)

    and may also be available from a library. Having the DVD's on hand, you can watch/stop at your own pace. And these two series should keep you enthralled for quite a while. I know I thought about them both for a very long time after having seen them.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto on library DVD's! I found the whole series of "Pillars of the Earth", which we had just finished watching from Netflix. Would have been so much better to use the library's copy!

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1453159/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

    This was an excellent look at and education about the times depicted. There is a follow-on series 150 years later of descendants of the first group that was also incredibly informative and enjoyable.

    It is called "World Without End"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Without_End_(miniseries)

    and may also be available from a library. Having the DVD's on hand, you can watch/stop at your own pace. And these two series should keep you enthralled for quite a while. I know I thought about them both for a very long time after having seen them.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gypsy, all you need is a converter box and a Digital rabbit ears antenae - I would highly suggest you just call Walmart and make sure they have some in stock - both could be purchased for under $50 TOTAL - most stores like Best Buy don't even carry them anymore because most of their shoppers moved to Digital TV's 5 or 6 years ago - The converter box is not really something you shop and compare - it is just a box to convert your old analog TV to the free digital signal coming over the airwaves -
    You should just buy any cheap one you can find - Walmart is your best chance - they all work the same - Good Luck !!! - Cindy in New Mexico

    ReplyDelete