Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Aging Brain

I read an interesting article today which implies that older folks don't remember things as quickly because their brains have so much more stored info than do younger brains.

" who has the better memory: the young person who knows a little and remembers all of it, or the older person who has learned a lot and forgets a little of it?
His research, published in the January 2014 issue of Topics in Cognitive Science, argues that studies on memory ask the wrong questions. It could be that older, wiser heads are so chock full of knowledge that it simply takes longer to retrieve the right bits. (It's important to note that the research is aimed at healthy, aging brains, not those afflicted with Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia, which rob the brain of memory and other abilities.)"

I think this makes a lot of sense and no doubt all you readers who have so many things crowded into your brains will agree.

I visited my doctor this morning who determined I have bronchitis, and put me on the "Z-Pack" antibiotics. She went through all the blood test results from yesterday and explained why some might be on the "low" side.  There was nothing she seemed to worry about.

She spent a lot of time discussing diet, things I can eat, how often, things I might avoid to begin with at least.  I don't think anyone expects me to pop back up soon after surgery, and the recovery will go on for a while longer.  I'll get through it.  Just driving downtown this morning and two trips to Costco (the pharmacy didn't have my meds the first trip) should have me pretty wilted, and I am tired but I will make it.

I'm back on the daily low dose aspirin, so it won't be long until I look like a battered woman.  It's been so nice looking at my arms and hands clear of bruises.

I sympathize with commenter Nancy1340, and am glad her aunt recovered from the effects of the flu shot.  I worry about getting the shot, but feel I have no choice in my run down condition, as well as the fact that I'm around my little grandchildren quite a lot.  They bring things home from school and of course they pass it on.  I could not deal with the flu right now - so I'm between the proverbial rock and a hard place!

After a run on beautiful sunny weather I believe we are in for a few days of rain, which we need desperately.  I hope the mountains get plenty of snow pack, as that ultimately becomes our water source.  Folsom Lake reservoir is so low that the old gold rush town of Mormon Island has been uncovered.  (I just checked the weather widget on my computer and it looks like they've cut the expected rain days down to just one.  Not good.   

11 comments:

  1. Senior moments are because our brains are so packed? I like that idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I agree with Judith. It is like an old hard-drive that is completely full and slowing down. I am going to stick with your explanation instead of thinking I am getting senile. Good blog, Gypsy.

    Get back to your old self, hiking weather is almost here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that's my problem I have overload on brain ware. good I will not worry about it any longer

    Nice to hear your Dr. spent time with you and reassured you your doing well.
    Sure wish we would get some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No rain in these parts for quite awhile either. I would like to think my brain is so clogged with information that I can't think straight but somehow I just don't think that is the case. Well maybe that is the case & I just can't remember it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can guarantee that my brain is so crammed with info that I can't remember anything. Patience with yourself. Just don't overdo.

    ReplyDelete

  6. That brain information makes all of us sit up straight !!!
    First time I have ever heard that but hey if their study gives us a good excuse and a bit of slack .... All the better !!! I like to think it makes us over loaded up stairs and making the most of it !!! Keep passing on the good excuses !!!
    Hope you continue to feel better and the right foods give you strength along the way .... Your Doc sounds like a keeper .... All the Best...Sally

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always said I need to purge my brain. But only if I can choose what stays and what goes. Wouldn't that be great? Hope to see you feeling a little better each day. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks and I understand. You are ahead of the game because of you're being in pretty good shape going to the gym and all. If you do take it see if they will give you half one week and the other half the next week. This was suggested by my aunt's doctor and an elderly friend of mine several years ago that was 106 lbs soaking wet did the shots the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. load up on probiotics while on your antibiotics.You have enough problems without the old yeast beast! Good luck and Take a breather from all the little people until you are stronger...

    ReplyDelete
  10. load up on probiotics while on your antibiotics.You have enough problems without the old yeast beast! Good luck and Take a breather from all the little people until you are stronger...

    ReplyDelete