Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Overcast skies

I sure haven't been blinded by the sun today.  The streets got wet now and then but no rain to speak of.  Now it looks like Sunday may be the magic day for rain.

I finally visited the dental office that my daughter and her family go to, and discussed my situation and made an appointment to get started on dental work.  I think that is what is ultimately causing most of my physical problems and it's time to take care of it.  I know I'm going to lose some lower molars but so be it.  

The lady at the desk told me that she had Donald make a birthday cake for her son, and that it was an incredible work of art, plus tasty as well.  They also had my name in their system from back when I was visiting CA from NC a number of years ago.  Sometimes doctors and dentists can't take new patients, so I feel good about getting an appointment.  I've already filled out the paperwork and was told if I have any pains in the meantime, to call night or day.  Donald's mother also goes to this dentist and her name is Martha, so I will have to get them to call me Marty - I guess Gypsy wouldn't be appropriate in this case!

I can't imagine what it will be like to get some energy again - I'm looking at having to do a major housecleaning if that happens, just in time for spring.

Thanks to the readers who commented on yesterday's post regarding contributions to charities.  It's a shame when good people are taken advantage of by scammers who don't care about helping anyone but themselves.

Personally I am a complete sucker for a homeless vet with a sign at the street corner.  I know that most people will say it's not a good idea to give them money, and maybe it isn't.  But I keep a supply of $1 bills in my wallet and if a guy looks to be close to my age and probably a Vietnam vet who is homeless, then I don't care.  And once that $1 leaves my hands I don't know or care what they do with it - that is their issue and it's passed beyond my control.  If I was homeless I might drink it or smoke it, and I won't ever judge a down-on-their- luck person in that situation.

Well I may have stirred up some controversy on that subject, so fire away at me, but please be nice about it.
  
 

9 comments:

  1. Glad you are going to get your dental work done.

    While I do not always give money to people on street corners sometimes one can not help it specially if I see they are older or handicap.

    Like yourself once that dollar leaves my hand I do not care what they do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to get out and about .. even if its just for dental work. As long as you don't overdo it and tire yourself out. But only you know what pace you can handle.

    I try to keep away from politics on my blog, because about half are dem. and half are rep. so you are gonna offend half the folks who follow you.


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use Gypsy. I use Old Fat Man a lot and enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some how I missed yesterday's post. I used to work at a rehab for Alcoholics and some didn't have a thing to their name. We asked for some vouchers from Good Will and they gave us a few for $7. It was such a slap in the face as they really couldn't even get a pair of paints, shirt and shoes. I then ran into someone who worked for them and they said the workers get first pick of the good stuff and the junk goes to the stores to be sold at big name stores. Most of these charities are the same. I donate lots of items and I watch who it goes too.
    I found a 7 Day Advent charity and the people were given a bag to fill with everything they needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a good heart shouldn't offend anyone! Of either political leaning. Do what feels right to you.

    I'm usually a lurker only, but have read your blog off & on for several years. Wishing you the best.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did what I usually do when wondering about something online and put the question to Snopes.com. Here is the link to what they say about charities:

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

    Basically, the worst weren't really as bad a quoted, the best weren't always evern as good as some of the worst in the original email. Choose which list you believe. Follow your heart. I usually try to donate to more local charities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I give out 1$ to the sign people also...you never know when you are giving one to an Angel...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually have a gut instinct about giving a $1 to somebody and when it leaves my hand it is theirs to do with whatever they want.

    ReplyDelete