Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday morning errands

I decided to go to the library this morning to pick up some CD's and DVD's if I could find anything of interest.  I found 4 CD's that I will listen to and possibly download some songs into my iTunes, and one DVD that is a travelogue sort of thing.  Also got a book in large print - an English "cozy", meaning a mystery in an English village setting, with no graphic violence.  Just a fun little mystery story.

I stopped at Rite Aid to get a small bottle of Tylenol.  I've been told by a doctor that I shouldn't use NSAIDs (motrin, ibuprofen, etc.) since I'm over 65 and they sometimes lead to liver damage, (or maybe it's kidney damage, neither  of which I want).  He recommended Tylenol which I've never liked or used up until now, but sometimes ya just gotta go with the flow.  I can try it anyway, but I was shocked that every single item in the department comes only in huge quantities and for huge costs.  What happened to the little tin of 12 aspirin or other pain relievers?  I don't need 250 of anything, except maybe the vitamins and supplements I take.

Several people mentioned my 3 mile walks along the American River.  Let me tell you it doesn't seem like 3 miles at all when I'm walking with my son and talking all the way.  We get to a halfway point and stop at a rest area with picnic table, and then start back after a brief rest.  I always wonder when I'm starting out if I will make it at all, but it's pretty easy once I get going.  Much easier than walking along the streets in my community, or on a treadmill, both of which are terribly monotonous.

Coming back home I drove through the old neighborhood I lived in during the 1980's, called Sunriver, where all the streets are named after rivers.  In my travels across the country I've crossed over or driven alongside many of these rivers, so when I get bored I'll pull out some of my large state maps and check the rivers against my list to see how many I've connected with.  I don't need an excuse to pull out my maps, but this is certainly a fine excuse if I did need one.  A few of the rivers are outside the U.S., such as the Tiber, the Yukon and the Quebec rivers.  I know I've never seen the Tiber or the Yukon, but will have to check a Quebec Provincial map to see if I've been anywhere near that one.  I always loved the study of Geography, and the streets in that subdivision were so evocative of near and far away places. 

I got on a scale yesterday that registered 109.2, meaning that I've gained 5# since my post op.  I was mildly disappointed that the number wasn't higher.  I am already sick of trying to eat constantly and wish I could go back to eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full.



9 comments:

  1. It must be nice to enjoy geography and be good at it. I was born without that gene, lol. I'm really bad at directions and places. Thank God for my Garmin. It changed my life.

    Glad you've gained some weight. It's probably better to be a little underweight than overweight, don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend you research that statement about not taking NSAIDs if you are over 65. It does not agree with my information from doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does the doc want you to gain weight? Maybe you are healthy when you only weigh 105. I have a really good friend who is just like you. She cannot gain weight so she just eats when she's hungry and doesn't stress about it too much. Now being overweight definitely has its issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes walking with someone does make it much easier and you really don't realize how far you have gone. Keep up the exercise it makes you feel so much better for sure.

    Why are you so concerned about you weight all the time. You just are lucky enough to have a gene that doesn't make you overweight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes walking with someone does make it much easier and you really don't realize how far you have gone. Keep up the exercise it makes you feel so much better for sure.

    Why are you so concerned about you weight all the time. You just are lucky enough to have a gene that doesn't make you overweight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw, walking with baby boy is wonderful ... ;)

    nice temperature here today .. 60! but heading back down first of the week! hiss

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I love maps too..when I was a kid. I thought if I squinted real hard I could see tiny cars moving on the map roads... Heh heh. I would always hold the map on family trips and get my finger set along our path as we went, figuring mileage to the next town by using the tiny numbers or the scale.. Seeing which was right. Love maps...but now I love my Streets & Trips on the laptop even more!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that you are feeling better. I know what you mean about walking with someone. It's boring and seems like work when you are alone. I'd rather be with someone "just in case".

    ReplyDelete