Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, November 13, 2013


If you don't want to read the account of my ERCP procedure, please just skip this entry.

I was in bed at 8 pm this evening, and now at 1:30 a.m. I'm awake.  I felt pretty crappy for a while but the discomfort is finally easing up.

What a zoo I ran into at the hospital today.  I had to be there at Noon for 1pm surgery, but I was taken in to the OR over an hour late.  I was, in fact, scheduled behind two others, but they were both being real jerks so the anesthesia guys decided to take me first.  The guy on my right really wore out the "f" word in just a few minutes, calling the nurses "f'ing liars" among other things.  A woman on my left was looking for pain killers and tried to match her stories up with the hoped for outcome.  Me, I just took it all in but was really glad to get out of there.  I can't believe how the attendants maintained their cool with these negative people.

The anesthetic was exactly what I'd hoped for - instant and complete, and when everything was over I woke up immediately.  They pump up the stomach with air and I've had terrible cramps - I'm up this time of the morning drinking a little ginger ale in hopes I can burp some of it away.

They got about 4 stones and had to put in a stent so that the rest of them can dislodge for when I have to repeat this ordeal.  I think the stent can only be in there for 3 months, so it will be no later than February or maybe the beginning of March.  In the meantime I have to have my gallbladder removed so that the stones don't keep forming.  Ironically I don't worry about that operation, but for the ERCP the general anesthetic is the only way for me to go.

Jeannie was marvelous - stayed with me the whole time except when I was in the OR.  I know I'm getting old because the surgeon came in and took her to the rear of the room to explain everything to her, and not to me.  I was very happy with that as I didn't really want to know the details anyway.

We went by her house on the way home from the hospital, and Donald cooked me some simple soup that was pretty amazing and tasty.

So now I think I will go back to bed and snuggle into my down comforter.  I really wish I didn't have to go through this same thing again in a few months, but I am just going to go with the flow.  And I hope to God I never act like either of the people who were in pre-op.  I'm sure my mom and dad would show up to set me straight!  


  1. Sorry you had to go through all that. You never told us that you were having problems, so this post was a complete surprise. I go to the hematologist today. Don't know why, there ain't much they can do except remove my spleen if it gets filled up with damaged red blood cells.

    Now, get better fast and hope you feel 110 percent!!

  2. I had my gallbladder removed when I was in my early 20's. That's back when they had to make a long incision to get to it. Now adays it's so much easier. I was so happy to get rid of it because I was in so much pain. And I sure haven't missed it in the last 40 years. Glad you're feeling better. People in pain can really be nasty especially if they aren't nice people normally. Thank goodness Jim is such a good guy.

  3. Glad to hear you came out in one piece. You will see once you get that stone making machine out of your belly (LOL) how must better you will feel. Had mine done and a few lesion taken cared of. Best thing I ever did (putting it off for yrs)Get well and Hike...

  4. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you are. Sorry about the thoughtless neighbors you had. At least you didn't have to stay with them! You will be one happy camper when you get the gall bladder problems behind you!
    Meanwhile, take care.

  5. I must truly be getting OLD, because I love hearing about other people's operations. I'm so glad the procedure went well - yes, that inflating part does cause cramps later, but at least at that point, it's OVER. It looks like all you have to do is recover, and hopefully you'll be feeling great. Thanks for letting us know.

  6. Oh my..I sure hope the discomfort is easing up for you..As far as the f word I hate it but people use these days like crazy. Kids pick up this kind of stuff and people don't seem to care..grrr..Anyway take care and hope you sleep well..