Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Quick post

It will be just a quick post tonight, unless I start off on a tangent!  I'll try to refrain.

I took a roll of b&w film to the camera store to have it developed.  You can't have b&w developed anywhere these days it seems, other than a specialty store.  There are 36 photos on the roll and it is going to cost me around $30, plus a CD would be another $8.  I figured I can use the scanner if I want to have a digital copy.  (I did check online and the cost would run pretty close to the camera shop price.  I'd rather deal with a human in a local camera shop and get the photos back sooner.)

I currently have another roll of 36 in the camera, and when that is finished I will go exclusively to color, as Costco develops color film.  I love using the film cameras with developing being the only problem.  I think my photo composition is much better with an old style camera and a viewfinder.  I know I'm in the minority on that point, and I'm not trying to make any converts to my preferences.

I did a short walk at Mather Field this afternoon, but my legs let me know they wanted to rest after the workout at the gym last night.  

My youngest son is coming over in the next couple of days and will cover my swamp cooler with a tarp.  I need to check to make sure there is enough rope to tie it.  I hope we don't get an unexpected heat wave!

I look for my forest service maps to arrive in the mail tomorrow - I will try to dream of planning a trip with them as I fall asleep tonight!

8 comments:

  1. To bad about all these problems developing your black and white film. Once they are done with a certain thing eventually they just quit doing anything with that product. Hope at that price they come out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me wonder how much longer they'll be developing any film. My sister also uses film but it's not black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not use a digital camera if it did not have a viewfinder. I won't have a camera without one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer a view finder as well. I'm just glad digital was invented as otherwise I'd have to get a job just to pay for developing the film. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL -- viewfinders and screens

    I always thought that in the days before I went digital that the ultimate COST of developing and printing the frame did make me think about the image more than I do today.

    My Canons still have viewfinders and I do not look forward to the day when I might have to join the viewing screen crowd exclusively. I find that with my iPhone working the button, forcing the focus all tend to result in blurry images. But get the camera up to my eyeball and my elbows tucked in and the image is rock steady! Newer isn't always better. Grrrrr.

    Cheers,
    Peter
    A retired photographer looks at life from behind an RV steering wheel.
    Life Unscripted

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL -- viewfinders and screens

    I always thought that in the days before I went digital that the ultimate COST of developing and printing the frame did make me think about the image more than I do today.

    My Canons still have viewfinders and I do not look forward to the day when I might have to join the viewing screen crowd exclusively. I find that with my iPhone working the button, forcing the focus all tend to result in blurry images. But get the camera up to my eyeball and my elbows tucked in and the image is rock steady! Newer isn't always better. Grrrrr.

    Cheers,
    Peter
    A retired photographer looks at life from behind an RV steering wheel.
    Life Unscripted

    ReplyDelete
  7. A viewfinder is a must for me. Not only does it work in any light level, it helps to steady the camera. I always feel that I am getting a better handle on what I want the finished picture to look like, too, but maybe that is from so many years of film camera use. The screen on the back of the camera is really used only when I flip it around because I'm taking a picture that is way above my head, or further down than I can bend my tired ol' bones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit that I just love digital photography, but only use a camera that have a viewfinder. I also find that most of the time, it is better for framing the picture-especially in bright light.

    Also at the end of the day, digital photo quality is just better than film.

    ReplyDelete