Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

No news is good news?

There certainly isn't any news coming from this corner. I did a bit of cleaning (which I really detest doing) and laundry today. Other than the laundry room and to walk Lady I haven't been out of my apartment all day. I wanted to wash my truck but that will have to wait for another day.

A reader asked if I couldn't just siphon gas from my truck to the generator, but I have a diesel engine and the genny requires unleaded gasoline. Good thought though.

I'm scheduled for a haircut on Friday, and have been debating with myself how I can wear my hair that doesn't require being blow dried. The dryer is an electric hog on high speed, and my hair is too thick to dry on low speed - my arms would fall off before my hair got dried. I've thought of everything imaginable, but can't zero in on anything that I might like and be able to take care of. I'll just let the hairdresser decide. When I set out to backpack the Appalachian Trail I had it cut extremely short, and that worked ok. I don't want to do that now though.

My blender says 475W on the bottom of the base, which seems like very little electric for such a powerful item, but I guess it is different when you add heat to an appliance. I won't take the blender with me, as it has a glass jar, which I love, but is extremely heavy. Also I don't want to take a chance on dropping and breaking it. I am going to buy a shaker like the one my s-i-l uses, and I think he got it at GNC. Now I just have to fine a GNC store nearby.

If any female readers have spent December at Quartzsite, I'd appreciate hearing from you what kind of clothing is suitable. I'm not sure about temps, especially the daytime versus evening. (I'll be about 40 miles from Q). I'm asking the ladies because we usually feel the heat and cold differently. Maybe we're just more honest, as in "Gee, I'm feeling a bit chilly - think I'll grab a jacket, sweatshirt, flannel shirt, down parka" - you get the picture. Guys are usually too macho to say "I'm freezing!" I won't have room in the truck to take very much with me, so I have to make everything count.

It is kind of a fun exercise, not having a square inch of storage to spare. Again, I'm speaking of taking things with me in the truck. I know there will be adequate storage in the camper, but it will be a 2-day trip from here to there. I'm enjoying reading the blogs of the snowbirds who have big gaping cavities in their storage bays, and thinking to myself how different it's going to be for me. I am really ready for the change though, and look at it as a challenge to a simpler way of being.

10 comments:

  1. Well I'm not a lady, but Arizona in December can be just above freezing at night. Say about 35 to 38, when its cold and rainy. Days will get up to almost 70 on cool days. If we hit a warm spell then you can add ten or more degrees to both the high and the low.
    Hope that helps!
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spent last January in Q. The days weren't bad - I get cold really easily so I usually wore long sleeves. But the nights get cold. When we had the campfires I put on a sweatshirt, my winter coat (from MT)socks and my winter boots. Along with something on my head. Just remember I get cold easily. But it does get cold at night on the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there's not too much macho stuff about this lady. I don't like being cold so I am basically dressed on the warm side for our whole 5 months in the southwest. Desert nights can really get cold depending on where you are & what elevation you are at. I pack more warm clothes than I do summer type clotes every year. It's not unusual for us to start off hiking in the early morning with sweaters & coats & end up carrying the sweaters & coats back with us a couple hours later. Bottom line.....be sure you have warm clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I feel a bit left out here, I am not allowed to give clothing advice-long story. Since I cannot relate to the hair issue- I have so very little- I am no help there either :(

    I am sure you will get good advice on both issues and will be well prepared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dressing in layers is definitely the way to go because of the wide temperature ranges in the southwest desert. I start out with lots of layers in the morning, peel them off as the day progresses & then start putting them on again in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gypsy:
    The no advice on clothing was not in reference to your request from the ladies but rather to a long ago event where the whole family drove up Pike's Peak and my wife wanted to go back to the RV to get a jacket and I advised it would not be needed in July. Of course, it was quite cold on top. Since then, the standard position around our house- I do not give clothing advice.

    See- I said it was a long story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Layers of clothing is usually what I do too. I also have a nice pair of long johns...the soft, thin kind. They don't take up much room....like a heavy coat would....and yet they provide quite a bit of warmth when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, layers are the way to go. You can go swimming in the afternoon, but before sundown be dried off and in some warmer clothes. Disclaimer: I am from Kansas, but I love our Christmas trips to AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only hair cut I could advise would be layering, and maybe it would dry quicker. Not been to Quartzsite yet, but its on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dressing in layers is the best. I have some long johns also. Jan. of 2008 was nice. My daughter was with me. We had two nights of really cold weather, I hauled out my down comforter, and ran my "Buddy" heater for a couple hours in my bedroom. My Daughter used the catalytic heater in the living room where she slept. We had two days of really high winds. More scary to me than the cold.Daytime temps, shirt sleves.It also helps to park, either head into the wind or the rear, to not get broadsided by the wind!

    ReplyDelete