Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, November 7, 2010

And yet another surprise!

I was blissfully unaware that plans were unfolding yesterday. My daughter was vague about the fact that we would all meet again at her house, but she had errands to run so it would be early afternoon. When I arrived, my son Steve & his family were there and the rest were going to show up at anytime. I didn't notice anything different, so I guess in exasperation my son pointed me to the dining table where I realized there was a birthday cake, in the form of my F-350 and Lance truck camper. There are three windows in back of this table with light shining in which affected the quality of the photos (plus the ineptness of the photographer) but you can see what it was like.




Pictures can't do justice to the detail on this cake. Everything was there! The front license plate on the truck said "Gypsy". My grandson noticed first thing that there were boot brushes on the running boards. The camper detail was incredible, and it's a shame those details don't show up on the pictures. Even the surface of the camper sides was meticulously detailed, although in the pics it looks like a flat surface. Of course there was no doubt whose birthday we were celebrating. Everyone handles me with kid gloves because they know I don't like to celebrate my own birthday. I usually get depressed at the thought of adding another number to the already huge number of years, and this is a milestone year coming up so I even wrote to my siblings to say that I didn't want to be reminded of it.

So the kids all arrived and we had a great time talking and laughing, when I noticed two people coming in the front door. It was my brother Steve and his wife, Nancy, from Suisun, CA. I told Mike, "Oh that's so nice they've come to see you", but he said, "Mom, they've come because it's your birthday - they are here for you". At that point something happened and I had a drastic attitude change. The hell with the number of years - it's only a number - and I'm being honored and going to enjoy it and be happy about it!

My youngest sister, Amy arrived, then her daughter Stephanie. It wasn't long after that when more folks walked in the door, my youngest brother, Rob, his wife Maria, and two of their four boys, Lucas and Max.

That's Rob and Maria on the left in back of me and Amy, then Nancy and Steve.

Jeannie put together a slide show with pictures from when I was a baby, up through my growing years and into adulthood, Bill's and my wedding, and all the way through to the present. In fact I think one of the last photos in the slideshow was taken just the day before. We loved looking at all those forgotten moments, and she let it run silently for the rest of the day. It was amazing how many of us went back to look at them from time to time, seeing something new each time.

Everyone brought something for dinner which was absolutely delicious, and then a bit later (at the urging of my grandson) we cut the cake. Son Steve had even ordered ice cream from Graeter's in Cincinnati, undoubtedly the best ice cream in the world!

I had brought Lady along and she was out in their fenced back yard (so she could drink out of the pool if she got thirsty), and the two grandsons Joshua & Justin kept wanting to go pet her and give her treats. She loved it as well as they did. I also had to take the two boys out to the truck a time or two and let them pretend to drive.

I can't think of a more beautiful and moving tribute, and I feel so honored by it all. And I won't reach that awful number for another week!

23 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you! What a great thing to do for you. If you like it or not...I wish you "Happy Birthday" with many more to come. You are only as old as you feel and with your spirit I'd say you are about 40!
    That cake is amazing. That must have taken a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a spectacular family you have!! So glad you changed your mind about celebrating. Sometimes it is more for family doing for you, than about you recieving the special party. I am sure your whole family was glad to get together on your special day. I am going to reach one of my milestones this year also, so know how you feel, but who would have thought we could look so damned good at this age.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, indeed, what a wonderful, special family you have! And, yes, I think you absolutely deserve to celebrate every one of those numbers, life is short, treasure every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Happy Birthday!!!!

    I"m glad you relaxed and understood the deeper meaning behind the celebration. Without family and friends we are nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have raised some super kids. What a great surprise for you. And the cake, words can't describe it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Gypsy! If it's a "milestone" year it must be 40!!! What a wonderful surprise and joyful gathering of family. And that cake is really something!

    Cheers to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only a number!! We need to remember that. Getting the family together - priceless. I'm so glad you had such a great time and I love the cake. What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking the same thing Paul and Mary said, it must be 40, you look so young in the picture.

    That's a great family you have and wonderful they took the time to be with you.

    The cake is unbelievable! Quite a talent and observant for details.

    Congrats, it's better to get older then the alternative. Many more years of travel and fun times with family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A tad humbling when you realize its all for you! So Happy Birthday and wishes for many more!
    Rod & Loyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is the kind of surprise that we would all like to have. Happy Birthday! Forget the numbers, the best thing is enjoying the moment and your family.

    Looks like a great time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the milestone, Gypsy. They are there to remind us how far we've come and of those that we have shared them with. Best wishes for continued milestones.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great time that must have been Gypsy! What an honor to be loved by so many. Happy (early) birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many Happy Returns.
    What a lovely surprise party, even though you don't like them!
    That is a beautiful cake, and it will be great when the real thing gets on your truck.
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a cake! I bet you hated cutting into it.
    Silly to worry about numbers when it comes to birthday's. We should all be happy we are here to celebrate them.
    Enjoy your special day.
    And again, how lucky you are to have family surrounding you...with love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's only a number - mine is 67, and I'm darned proud of making it this far. ! I wish I had as many loving relatives as you do.


    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful party! You have lots of people who love you, and that's what it's all about. I can't wait till my next birthday - Social Security! Yeah!
    You look fabulous - love your haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday! What a wonderful thing your family did for you. They must love you very, very much. You are a very special and lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday.

    As my uncle says " It is hard to have another birthday but the alternative isn't good".

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!!! What a great celebration!!!
    Happy Birthday, Gypsy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I totally understand your Birthday feelings Gypsy. We're not big Birthday people either. But, despite that, it was nice to read how much your family cares for you & the lengths they are willing to go to show that. What a great surprise & how thoughtful to get you a cake like no other. And, what a nice touch with the Slideshow. I'll bet it's a pretty nice feeling inside to have know how much your family cares for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday ... may you have many happy, healthy returns.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful surprise and great family you have. I am glad you had such a wonderful day, and we both want to wish you a very Happy Birthday as well!!!!! Hugs to you Gypsy!!!!

    PS. Loved the cake, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You must be one special lady to get such treatment like that! (of course we all know you are)

    That cake was just amazing.. and how cool that your family recognizes your need for travel and RVing and how much it means to you. To be the focus of your cake for your party means it is REALLY who you are!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete