Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, October 7, 2013

No Place Like Home

Be it ever so humble there's no place like home!

I arrived at my day's destination in Carson City, NV at 1:00 pm and didn't want a repeat of yesterday when I had way too much time to kill because of early arrival.  Also I'm tired of motels, which are okay if they are interspersed once in a while with campgrounds.

I made a decision to drive the 120 miles home this afternoon instead of tomorrow morning.  The traffic was horrendous all around Carson City and Lake Tahoe, right down to where I turn off US 50 a mile from my home.  I arrived at about 2:30 and have been bringing things out of my car ever since, and even putting some of it away.

I took some photos in eastern Nevada but with my black & white film camera, so of course I can't include them with this post.  I think I was going to also take some with the digital camera but couldn't reach it - it was somewhere on the passenger side floor!

Nevada is a beautiful state, believe it or not, although much of it has a washed out hazy look this time of year.  I remember going the same route in winter and everything was crisp and clear.  (It's possible that my eyes saw "crisp and clear then but no longer see it that way.)  When I got to the Sierras though, they were perfectly gorgeous.  The steep mountains and treacherous curves, with not much place to pull off, plus the heavy traffic kept me from even thinking about pictures.  I will probably drive back "up the hill" before next summer and hopefully can stop and take lots of pictures.  

I really had one thought in mind and that was to get home, and get home safely.  Mission accomplished.  My eagerness sort of waned with the shut down of government facilities, and then driving the same route I've taken many times before.  I was looking for a different scene, but I'm perfectly okay with coming home earlier than planned.

I have hardly any food in the house and I'm wondering if I should just go out to get something, but that would require getting back in the driver's seat and turning on the ignition - I'm not sure I can do it today.  I will go to Costco early tomorrow and possibly to Bel Air to get basics so that I can cook.  I have a lot of food I brought back but it's all suitable for camping, and I don't want it at home!

So I just clicked my ruby slippers and said "There's no place like home", and by golly, here I am!

8 comments:

  1. I know the feeling of coming home. And I don't like staying home! but you sure had a long trip and I am happy you enjoyed and took us along for the trip. Rest up tomorrow is another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you made it home safely. Maybe it's because I'm in an RV, but I just don't like long driving days anymore. The drive from South Padre to San Antonio was more than enough for me in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm running low on food too, but really don't want to buy much until this fridge is fixed.

    Glad your whole trip was done safely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got home safely. I didn't drive anywhere once I got home on Saturday except to take the rental truck back and then in to work this morning. I have very little desire to do the longer driving explorations to places like Tucson as I was before I made the long drive here from MO last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home! I love following you and we'll probably take a lot of the routes you took when we get out west next spring.

    I can't wait till your next trip. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home! I love following you and we'll probably take a lot of the routes you took when we get out west next spring.

    I can't wait till your next trip. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home! I love following you and we'll probably take a lot of the routes you took when we get out west next spring.

    I can't wait till your next trip. lol

    ReplyDelete