Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, October 6, 2013

In Nevada

I woke up at 6:30 this morning when I heard a woman giggling in the adjacent room.  Dang!  I just took my time getting dressed, went to the office to get coffee, and ate breakfast in my room.  I left Green River at 7:30, forgetting I would gain an hour when I crossed into Nevada, and I arrived at the motel here at 1 pm. I drove about 340 miles today.

Utah, especially southern Utah, has some spectacular scenery.  The northern part is beautiful in places, especially the Wasatch mountain range, but it is too populated and busy to be to my liking.

These pictures were taken in Colorado and Utah.  I will drive about the same distance tomorrow so I hope to get photos of Nevada.  (Please click on a picture to enlarge it.)




I was thinking about all the pictures I took in the last ten years or so on my drives across the country and back and realized I took much better pictures with film.  Maybe it's me and not the digital-versus-film camera issue, but I think I will try to go back to film periodically.  The thing is that we quickly get addicted to uploading our photos onto the computer and see them almost instantly.  In my case, I can have the film pictures put on a CD but it usually isn't compatible with my Mac computer.  I give the CD to Donald and ask him to email me my pictures, but it's a shame the developers (i.e., Costco, Walmart, etc.) don't use a different software for the CD.  I had some film developed when I worked at Ft. Pulaski in SC a few years back, and I think it was Walgreen's that gave me a completely compatible CD with my photos.  I know, I should try Walgreen's for film developing in Sacramento!

Among all the maps I brought along was the big Forest Service map of the Humboldt-Toyabi National Forest, where I had several campgrounds in mind for my stopovers here.  To add insult to injury, I also kept passing signs to Mesa Verde, Hovenweep, Arches, Capitol Reef, Great Basin, etc., plus all the wonderful national forests I've driven through.  I try to be philosophical about it though - I can't go so why cry over it.  I may go into it in a later post, but this trip has given me some great "aha moments" and I think a few are life changing.  Time will tell.

5 comments:

  1. You sure are making good time going thru the states. I'm glad you're not in the snow storms north of you. What a mess.

    We're taking that same route next spring. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure are making good time going thru the states. I'm glad you're not in the snow storms north of you. What a mess.

    We're taking that same route next spring. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are great. I have lost more film pictures than I care to remember. Some one in a life time shots. I down load my pictures on thumb drives so I have a back up of my best ones.
    It's to bad you can't get those cd's that work on your Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experience is just opposite of mine. I never had film scanned that cane close to true digital pictures. Now prints I might agree with you. But gosh 36 pictures in film are over a buck a picture most places. And on top of the scanning cost extra. And CD ought to be compatible with your mac. The picture file anyway, the only possible issue might be the slide show software..but the actual picture files should be no problem..

    You get nice pictures anyway.. Be safe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does you Mac not have a CD slot, or do the pictures on the CD not load for you? My 2010 MacBook Pro has a slot on the right side to accept a CD, but I haven't ever used it. I think DH used it to test a CD of prints that he made for someone, though.

    ReplyDelete