Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, October 9, 2010

My list of places I want to see

I don't have much to write about today since I just did a bit of shopping with Jeannie and only came home with two big, yummy-smelling jar candles. I probably wouldn't even post an entry, except for being inspired by Margie's blog yesterday, wherein she listed 5 places she was glad they hadn't missed in their journeys, and 5 places they want to see in the future. She invited comments and lists from readers, so here is my choice.

The 5 places I want to see when I get back on the road

1. Capitol Reef National Park, in Utah: I have seen several references to this park recently, but Laurie's recent blog cinched it for me;

2. Crater Lake, in Oregon: I have only heard wonderful things about this park;

3. Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks, in Wyoming: I'd love to see these parks when the crowds are gone, and do some major wildlife viewing;

4. The state of Maine (and possibly up into Nova Scotia): I have been to Maine several times, but never in an RV, and never into the deep woods. Hopefully I will find a camper that will take me there.

5. Tied for 5th place (sorry folks, I just can't decide) are the Grand Canyon, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Unless I can figure out a time when there aren't hordes of tourists, I might forgo the Grand Canyon.

As for the 5 places I'm glad I have been to, I can easily think of 5 and more, but they weren't visited in an RV. I think Tokyo would top my list - it is beautiful, safe, the people are majorly friendly, and it is unbelievably large.

That's it for now.

9 comments:

  1. Good picks for your top 5 to visit, Gypsy. I guess I'll have to get into this game and pick mine sometime soon.

    Tokyo? Now, that surprised me. I would never have guessed that Tokyo would top your places visited list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking the UP may be do-able if my current planning comes to fruition. Never been there, but would like to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just caught up on your last few blogs-I'm a bit behind. You sound so up-beat! Selling the rig has really taken a load off you, lightened things up. I'm so glad for you. Now I'm wondering, do you have anything in mind for your new rig? Or will you wait a while?
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, Gypsy. We have been to Michigan and it's UP a couple of times, but we want to return and spend a longer period of time there. We hope in 2012 to make a Northern Route crossing from WA to Michigan in the early fall and stay for the foliage diplay there. It is supposed to be beautiful.

    Tokyo? I'm sure it is fantastic, but since we can't get the RV there we'll probably never see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully it won't be too long before your on the road again with one of your 5 favorite destinations in your sights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see Mountain City TN on that list!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mountain City TN is not on that list -- you must have missed it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Gypsy, U.P. or Grand Canyon? They could hardly be more different! Thanks goodness you can see both. :) If I had to pick one or the other (if you could only visit 5), I'd pick the U.P. Lake Superior is one of the great natural wonders, as far as I am concerned (and of course, the UP is bordered by other Great Lakes, as well. And since Capitol Reef is on your list, you will have seen some of the great rock formations of the SW. We have visited the Grand Canyon a few times, and I have hiked down to the bottom and spent the night. Even so, I found Capitol Reef to be more beautiful - and far more accessible.

    Isn't it fun to have these kinds of faux-decisions to make, knowing it is all out there for you?

    BTW, we saw a trailer recently that made me think of adventureous you:
    www.adventuretrailers.com/trailers.html

    Safe travels,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. May not be a good time to go in the camper, but Grand Canyon in the winter is gorgeous. We were there when it was -4F in December one year. (That was an exceptionally cold winter.) Few people were out and about and we had most of the overlooks to ourselves. The snow made the canyon look downright ethereal. I still remember picnicking in the snow ... what a grand time we had. Visiting at that time of the year would definitely be worth staying in a hotel a few days.

    ReplyDelete