Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Banking and RVs

Although I am not in a hurry at this time, several readers told me I should call my bank and request access to the money that I deposited at least a week ago from the sale of my RV. I say I'm in no hurry, because I can't go anywhere right now except to local stores, and I certainly don't want to spend that money yet!

I'm not surprised at all because I've been through this before. When I sold my condo in Virginia (2003) and my house in North Carolina (2008) the proceeds were wired to my account and I had instant access to them. When I wrote a check for my 5ver and truck, you might remember I sat and cooled my heels for nearly a whole month because the seller's bank held up the funds. Of course they disappeared from my account within a day or two, but the seller couldn't even see them in her account.

In this instance, the full amount I received from my 5th wheel showed up in my account, and I'm almost certain I will be credited with the interest on these funds.

I have been dealing with a Federal Employees Credit Union in Cincinnati since I was 17 years old, and have watched it grow from a two-person office, to a full banking center with a number of branches in the metro Cincinnati area. I realize how much like a bank it is today when I was kept on hold for 35 minutes while "they were assisting other customers". Since my only phone is a cell phone and the minutes were ticking against my account, I finally hung up and emailed them.

I still love this credit union and wouldn't take a regular bank in place of them in a thousand years! The system is what it is and I can't do much about it, although knowing how they work, if I told them I needed xxxxx number of dollars right now to make a purchase of an RV, I'm sure they would allow me access to it. A credit union is more likely to bend the rules once in a while whereas a bank is more rigid. They have bent the rules for me many times in the past, including when I was living in Ireland and needed to buy a car, so I will go along with the situation as it is right now. As I said, I can't go to purchase and pick up the RV right away, and the money will be available when I can.

In the meantime I'm just trying to keep my excitement down to a manageable level, and try not to make too many lists of things I want to get for the camper. And of course I need to do an attitude adjustment on the amount of space I think I need, although that shouldn't be too difficult for me.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I've never been to savvy on all that banky schmanky credit union stuff but it sounds like you made some good darn sense there anyway. I keep my money in an old sock & that way if I need a few bucks I can just 'sock it to me'.........:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a member of USAA Bank for over forty years and I understand how you feel. I have never actually seen the bank that is located in San Antonio, Texas.

    I have been stationed overseas twice and never had a problem. I cannot imagine having to deal with a "real" bank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm trying to get to Texas as quickly as possible, I probably won't be commenting as usual. I hope to be able to read posts, so know that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have been happy enough camping in a tent from time to time, there is no reason you won't be totally happy in the Lance. Even in the small confines of a TC, you will have a nice bed to sleep in, a table to eat meals and work with the computer and you'll be out of inclement weather when it comes along. All good in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love our credit union....folks know us by name and do go the extra mile for us when we need it!

    ReplyDelete