Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Jinxed!

First on the list of blogs to read this morning was Rick's. He told a familiar tale, at least one I'm familiar with, of spilling coffee on the desk where his computer is situated. I've replaced a number of keyboards in my time including one on a laptop, which isn't cheap, so I felt regret for Rick and was glad for him that nothing was damaged. He and Paulette were able to mop up the coffee before it hurt anything.

But darn it, I was jinxed from then on! While talking to Dave about his-but-soon-to-be-mine truck camper, I was rinsing my hands at the kitchen sink, cell phone between ear and shoulder, when I dropped it. It didn't fall into standing water but must have been splashed enough to mess it up.

I quickly drove to the Target where I bought it, but was told the "cell phone guy" wouldn't be in for another hour. I went immediately to a Verizon store next to Target, who said I needed to have it looked at by a tech. At this point it was getting a screen but no service. So I drove by home to pick up my laptop and Mifi, and took everything to a larger Verizon store where I bought the MiFi. The result is that since the phone is under warranty they will ship me a replacement that I should get by Wednesday of next week.

The MiFi works beautifully, but only when I tethered it to the laptop, and I knew I should be able to plug it into the wall. It took two techs to figure out that I had to "Turn Airport On" - the feature that brings up available wifi networks on a Mac. I normally had it turned off when I used the aircard, and didn't think that the MiFi needed it. So after figuring that out and re-setting the password (for what reason I couldn't determine) I'm at home now and it is working fine.

It didn't bother me to have it tethered to the laptop, except if I wanted to move to a different spot I had to carry it around with me. Also, I plug in a mouse, which I had to disconnect if I wanted to use the printer. Now I can keep one USB port open for when I need it to print or to download pictures from my camera.

Saturday is not a good day for me to be driving in heavy traffic, and on an overcast day at that. I'm just glad I got everything taken care of and now I can relax at home for the rest of the day.

8 comments:

  1. Good that you are getting a replacement phone. We found a cell phone once in a puddle by the curb in Quartzsite. Cliff took it apart as best he could and we dried it out and lo and behold it worked. Of course we could not use it but phoned the provider to find out who it belonged to but they could not tell us. We would have liked to give it back. We even phoned one of the numbers in the directory on the phone but somebody answered in Spanish and kept saying "no phone, no phone" She could not understand us and we could not understand her. We still have the phone ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch out, it's full moon time out there again! Or, we could just blame everything on Rick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you are glad you got that all cleared up righ away. Sorry you have to wait till next week to get your new phone though. Seems like the Gremlins are everywhere these days. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Judy and Emma's comment...I think it is the full moon.

    Just wanted to let you know that your blog yesterday motivated me enough to get out my weights this morning and start doing my strength training exercises again. I hope I can keep up the good work like you are doing. I know it is just going to take some time to get into the routine of it again. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT that you got the mifi working without having to be plugged into it. Whodah thunk you needed *airport* switch flipped? LOL

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some days we just can't win for losing:(( At least your phone didn't get splashed with corrosive sea water.

    ReplyDelete