Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Clutter; Post #1 Thurs. 10/21

I'd like to let this subject drop because I sense I'm being ridiculed for my feelings, but I just want to say that I have no problems whatsoever with other folks who absolutely adore any new technology that comes along. Go for it. I don't quite buy the idea that everything is geared for a younger market, because if that is so then why aren't all other appliances the same way.

I can buy a microwave that will cook a turkey and perform many amazing functions, but since I don't use a microwave for anything except to warm something once in a while, I can buy the plain vanilla version with nothing except a dial to set the seconds/minutes, and another to set the power if I so desire. What is the difference between a plain microwave and a plain printer. Well, that question isn't meant to be taken literally, but figuratively, and in my mind there isn't much of a difference. I can buy a microwave to suit the use I have need for. It's the same with most other appliances.

If I never take pictures with my cell phone, why should I have to have that feature. I usually carry my phone in my jeans pocket, and sometimes I move a certain way that must set the camera in action, and I find it annoying. I'm not saying that most people don't love the camera function and use it frequently, but for those who don't why is it nearly impossible to buy a phone without it. Or a printer without menus, little screens, and a myriad of buttons sticking all over the front and sides of the printer. Hell, I just want to print a document, or copy something on a sheet of paper, and once in a while I might want to scan something. Ok, I might even like to print a photograph, and it doesn't take rocket science to do that. It also doesn't require the printer be top heavy in keys and buttons and screens.

I guess I just consider all the stuff I don't need or want or use to be clutter. I have enough clutter in my life - on my kitchen countertop, on the coffee table, and on the desk in the bedroom. I'd like to have less clutter.

In my mind I'm finished with this subject. I am not trying to convince anyone - just explaining my feelings, to which I am perfectly entitled.

11 comments:

  1. "perfectly well said"! I agree and who couldn't use a little less 'clutter' in their lives....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like all the new technology, but I agree with you as well. I bought a new stove a few years ago and had to read the manual to turn it on! Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not the only one Gypsy. William and I feel the same way!
    Just keep on being you...and I like that you say how you feel about anything, no matter what it is. Being "real" is where it's at.
    - Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often use less than half the features on things like cell phones, cameras etc, so I get what you are saying.

    I would guess that the reason for lack of simple versions of these things is, as usual a matter of money. There is not enough demand for the simple versions to make it pay. so they build things based on perceived demand and everyone gets to use those versions.

    Profit is the only motivation. Which is not always a bad thing, we need someone to make the stuff we use and stay in business longer enough to support the product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gypsy, Chuck is dead on! It is a function of the company determining what features the mass market expects in a product. And how to make a profit.

    Again he says that there is not enough demand for the simple versions to make that part of the market pay off.

    Again like Rick said yesterday, the major sector of the market demand is the 13 to 40 year old group. They want features! They boast to their friends that their phone will do thus and thus, therefore making them way cooler than their peers!

    Us 60 something group of folks do not constitute much of the market share. First of all we have most everything and don't run out and buy much, and if we do, we tend to buy smaller and simpler stuff.

    Companies can't make much of a profit from that! So we just get ignored as a market sector.

    Believe me, we are not intending to ridicule you for your views, we actually quite respect you and your views, but I tend to post comments intended to add to your thoughts and help see both sides of an issue.

    If I disagree, I will try and point out why, mostly just to attract further comments on a thought.

    And that causes a bunch of comments and attracts more folks to your blog! Are we having fun yet?

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  6. Say, did anyone notice it's only 64 days till Christmas:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely, Gypsy. I find technology is getting out of control for most of us as well. Even Gordon says that and he was the tekkie person when we lived in Ottawa preFT. My brain just won't comprehend most of it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess one person's clutter is just neat and cool features to someone else. The facts are though that these companies have spent millions on research and marketing and are simply responding to the demands of their 'prime' customers - those in the 13 to 14 age bracket.

    Home mechanics would love to go back to the old days before computers were installed in cars and all you needed was a good set of wrenches to fix things. But, it ain't gonna happen!!

    In reading the comments on your blog, I don't see any ridicule directed at you Gypsy. You've offered your opinion and just a few, like Rod, Chuck and myself, have offered countering opinions. It's no big deal, just different ideas and views, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here! Here! I so agree with you. Just saw on the news that a mall in Sacramento is on fire. Hope it's not near you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sales kid at the cellphone store could not believe that I don't text, I don't play games and I don't do goofy ringtones. There wasn't much on the phone that I do but answer a call or call out. LOL

    Boggled his mind.


    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter cannot believe that I don't text and own a Droid with all of the super duper applications. I made the mistake of upgrading to a Blackberry that notified me everytime I received an email by blinking a red light and everytime I would pick up the phone my finger would hit the photo button. I sold the phone after two weeks and went back to the basic cell phone that receives calls and sends calls. I don't want to be that "tethered" to technology. Give me a one on one conversation and I will do the happy dance. Call me old fashioned but don't call me after 10 p.m.! LOL. So, I agree with many of you--technology may be making the world smaller but it's nice to be able to say no thank you. Safe travels.//karen

    ReplyDelete