Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, October 25, 2010

It's like Christmas!

After my morning stretch routine I tried the hi-protein shake with strawberries, bananas, whole milk, and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. WOW! Very tasty.

I had located several places that advertised Honda Generators, so made the rounds to see what I could find. I tried lifting both the 1000 and 2000 models, and could lift the 2000 from the floor back up onto the shelf, but it was not easy. I think if I had to do it very often I would come to hate it, just as I found the large propane tanks barely manageable when they were full. I always got the full tanks up into the bay, but seriously thought about replacing them with the next smaller size.

I talked at length to one of the staff, and then he sent me to the desk to get more info. The man at the desk zeroed in on what I wanted it for, how I might be planning to use it, etc., and strongly recommended the 1000, which I ended up buying.

I don't like A/C and wouldn't purposely go camping anywhere it would be terribly hot to begin with, as I've always preferred cooler weather. I plan to stay well away from Death Valley! I rarely use a microwave, and don't have a TV, nor will I bother with a vacuum cleaner. The model generator I bought will keep the batteries charged, and I expect to spend more time outdoors than inside. So I'm thrilled with it. As long as I can use my computer, the lights, my hair dryer on low, I'll be happy. If I need a lot of power for some reason I will stay in a campground from time to time and plug into 30 Amp.

I realize this style of RVing, or camping, isn't for everyone. It especially doesn't appeal to most fulltimers. It's a great world when we can each do things in our own way, which doesn't preclude anyone from commenting and voicing their own opinions. So if you don't like my style, just fire away, but understand that I cherish my right to follow my own choices just as I respect yours.

I was eating my lunch when FedEx stopped by with my iPod. It is a pretty thing, and looking at the directions I think I can get started with it, although it will be much easier to have my son do it. I might as well take the easy way out on this one, as I need to save a chunk of brain power for getting to know the ins and outs of truck campers. I've learned to pace myself, and exert my energy for things I enjoy doing.



So I've given myself two presents today, and I'm pretty happy with both of them.

12 comments:

  1. Nothing better than feeling good about what you have purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went to buy the Blue Ox hitch for my toad, I was lucky to have a thoughtful salesperson that suggested I get the more expensive model. When I asked why, he had me lift both models. I immediately agreed with him as the less expensive model was much heavier, and I knew over time I would come to hate it! They arthritis in my hands and wrists just adds to the problem.


    With the type of camping that you are most fond of, I think you made a good decision. Sometimes people just don't get that weight can be an issue. (lifting weight in this instance)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice Gypsy, I have one of those little guys and it works great for just what you want it for. For a while when we had our 5er we upgraded to a 3000 Watt one and it was heavy so when we got rid of the 5er we got rid of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful with the motorhome because the generator is built in and all I have to do is push a button.

    I am just so happy you are getting your camper and can hardly wait to see pictures and how you fix it up. And then hopefully you can be out there taking beautiful nature pictures for us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes 'A' decision is better than 'NO' decision. Sounds like you had all your ducks lined up before deciding on which generator & just needed a knowing person to help you with your final choice. Good stuff:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choice on the genny! I think it will serve you for many years to come. It will be light enough to not be dreaded every time you need to move it, and charge your batteries nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent choices on your purchases! Congratulations. You will have great fun and peace of mind with each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you. Looks like you are working your plan. Can't wait to see your TC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're moving right along - before you know it you'll be in your new rig listening to your tunes. :)
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an ipod that lays in the drawer. I got one to put all my music on so I could store all my cd's and not have to carry the extra weight around. I am not even sure I can still turn it on. I also uploaded most of my mucic to my computer to listen to while on here, but having that backup is nice. I know a lot of people that use theirs every day though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are getting your choices all lined up. We like camping like you do, rustic, no hookups and being outdoors.

    As for the Ipod, I will shoot you over a pic of some cute small speakers from Magnavox I found for $9 at Walmart. They do not need any power to operate, just off the Ipod. You can set your Ipod out on a table or in the rig with the music softly playing... not having to have the ear phones in all of the time. And not having to keep feeding batteries into the speakers either.

    They are one of my favorite boondocking items!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool purchases Gypsy...You done good! :)

    ReplyDelete