Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Installing the printer

I retrieved my new printer today at Jeanne's house. The kids were happy to see me, and Arianna kept shaking her head "no" and wanting me to stay when I got into the truck. She makes me melt.

The installation turned out to be a little easier than the directions. I think the problem is that they write one manual to cover so many computer systems, and it drives me crazy to keep having to page back and forth. I think I will like having the capability of copying and scanning. I still wish I could just have my Lexmark All in One back (2003 model). It was easy and straightforward, with a minimum of buttons to press and lights to light up. And since there was no fax capability I didn't have all those buttons in the way. This is a good compromise though, and more to my liking than any other brand I've looked at.

This is just another example of "every new model is more complex and does way more than you need". One of these days someone in the high tech kingdom will get an inspiration that maybe some folks just don't want all the crap, but just might pay the same price for the streamlined equipment. I know I would.

I stopped by the library to pick up a book that I had requested, and got 3 more CD's, one of which is Cuban music that I'm listening to now. When I was a young child my dad had a record player and lots of old 78's that he cherished. I remember that at least a couple of them were latin music, and as I got older recognized the rhythm of Cuban rumba. I loved it then and love it now. What amazes me is that my father, who was more German than anything else, loved it as well. He also had lots of classical music which he played for hours on Sundays.

Now I have to clean up the mess from the printer box and pick up all those little pieces of blue tape they use as well as all the plastic bags. The test page worked ok, so I'm hoping that the printer will work as well when I need it to.

9 comments:

  1. I hear you loud and clear!!! I wish they would make TVs like in the "Olden Days". Bring it home plug it in and voila, done. Get rid of the box because you won't have to take it back to the store because it does not work right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I hate about unpacking those boxes are the little pieces of styrofoam that get all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a Brother printer too - it works great! I hope you have as good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now wait a minute here! Do you gals really want a TV with a clunk tuner that picks up channels 2-13. And do you want to have to get up and adjust the fine tuning every time the sound gets fuzzy. Do you remember the vertical hold adjustment that would get out of kilter and the picture would roll and roll. And then the contrast would go white, and we had a contrast control to adjust that back to normal. Well until you changed channels by walking across the room, clunk clunk clunk, and then started adjusting all that stuff again......Nah, I don't think so!!! Did you ever have to put that smelly chemical in the mimeograph machine in order to make the copies? Perhaps progress isn't all that bad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rod, I don't remember all that much difficulty with the TV years ago, and I sure never missed all the cable channels. Who needs so many channels of non-stop news? We had 3 channels plus PBS and it was plenty as far as I'm concerned. At least they came on at a certain time in the a.m. (with the Star Spangled Banner) and closed off at a certain time in the p.m. (with the Star Spangled Banner). No TV watching in the middle of the night! I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get another TV - it's been 2 yrs now since I got rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always a good day when you get get a new piece of hardware installed with no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are numerous examples of where, 'newer is not better' & that is a simple fact. But of course the techie types will never admit that. Television itself I don't mind but it's the moronic programing that is soooo bad. I enjoy the National Geographic stuff along with a lot of biography's & educational things. But, the mature sensible programing is grossly overshadowed by the outright stupidity of garbage shows. It is no wonder we as a people are in the position we are in now because of the junk we ingest from the boob tube!! People are just soooooooooo gullable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your new printer was easy to install. They can really be a b----if not installed the right way. Been there, done that. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Rod on this one as I do remember clunky channel changers and rolling screens of annoyance.

    The reason companies are including additional features on their products is simple - consumer demand.

    It's not consumer demand from us 'old fogies' or 'old techies' but rather from the group of consumers who overwhelmingly dominate the tech market - 13 to 40 year olds.

    That's where the money is and as long as this group is demanding more and more versatility in their products, companies will strive to please them.

    Change is what drives this business and this business is driven by youthful consumers for the most part.

    That said, I would never want to go back to the 'good old days' of no remotes, putting a block of ice in a fridge to keep it cold, shoveling coal into a bin for heat or relying on 'snail mail' to communicate with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete