Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve

I would like to first wish everyone a very happy and prosperous new year. I haven't even gotten used to writing 2009 yet, and here it will be 2010 tomorrow!

I was supposed to have today off work but I was asked to come in. I readily agreed because I don't have anything else to do. It rained during the night but the sun has come out and it's warmed up considerably.

I mentioned yesterday that I was having shrimp and dirty rice for supper. I just knew I would get comments about that from our northern friends, so I want to make clear that the rice isn't dirty at all - it's the seasonings that make it turn to a reddish brown color. Rather than make it from scratch I bought a packet of Knorr's Dirty Rice to which I added water and butter, and it was ready in about 10 minutes. The package said it was Made in Canada! Doggone Canadians probably package our grits and ship them down to us as well.

Much as I love shrimp I won't go to the trouble to fix it myself any more. I'll gladly eat it in a restaurant where someone else peels and deveins it, unless of course I can talk my sons into cooking some jumbo shrimp on the grill.

I'm just on lunch break so I am about to head back to the Fort.

8 comments:

  1. Nope, you can't get grits up here! Gordon may have to find something else to eat for breakfast since we didn't get to the U.S. to stock up on them.

    By the way, I did know what dirty rice is! LOL

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured you would elaborate on that dirty rice :-) but I googled it and it sounds good to me!! I wish you a Happy New Year. Stay healthy. Greetings from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dirty rice! Had it when I was in Savannah!

    I don't find shrimp to be that much trouble to fix myself. It's definitely less work than preparing chicken with the bone on it. I guess that it depends on the person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gypsy, I couldn't "hang it up" for the night without checking in on your blog. Bruce and I want to wish you a very Happy New Year. I know you enjoyed the dirty rice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gypsy, dirty rice in Canada - o.k. But, Grits - no way we'd ever make that wallpaper paste here!

    Have a happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you got that dirty rice story cleaned up. Guess I'm not much of an adventuress eater because I don't like rice, grits, or shrimp. Only thing I like that lives in the sea are Captain Highliner's fish sticks. All the best in 2010 Gypsy. Let them good times roll..........:))

    ReplyDelete