Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Busy Day

We had a bus load of kids and adults at the Fort this morning and after touring they stopped at the Sutler Store. The place was packed but the kids were all well behaved and supervised, and we had a good day's receipts. Thomas is so much fun to work with, and Patty stopped over during the day and the three of us had a nice chat. Did I mention that I love this job and I love this place. How was I so lucky to just select it from a list of Dept. of Interior locations in the southeast, apply for a position, be accepted, and then to get the plum job of working inside the Fort itself?

A younger couple stopped in this afternoon and it turned out to be that they were RV'ers. In fact, some other folks who are staying at the same campground on Tybee Island also came into the store. One of the couples is on their way to Florida, and being from the Detroit area I'd say they are running from winter!

I will be on my own tomorrow, Thomas' day off. I think I will try to light the fire myself, something he always does (and does well). The aroma is noticeable way back before you even arrive at the Fort, and the warmth draws folks inside. We have two chairs in front of the fireplace, and a small barrel between them with a checkerboard set up. I noticed a game of checkers being played several times today, and it is so good to see that there are many people who are able to take their time and enjoy the time they spend here, especially in today's rush-rush world. Now that I think of it, I don't remember ever seeing anyone in the store talking on a cell phone, so maybe there is something about the 1860's atmosphere and ambiance of the place.

From what I hear we will have rain all day tomorrow, so I may as well get my Wellington boots out tonight for when I walk Lady in the morning. Now I need to go fix my supper and count my blessings!

3 comments:

  1. That is great that you have a fireplace. We often sit in front of ours, just watching the flames and having a cup of coffee. One good thing about winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gypsy, to let the bread rise I used the oven with the pilot light going. Check the temp. once in awhile so it will not get too hot. It worked for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to hear how happy you are there Gypsy.. I'm sure they are greatfull to have you.

    ReplyDelete