Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Volunteers' Potluck Dinner

The dinner was held last night in the mess hall in the Fort. The room was decorated for Christmas, and lanterns and candles provided light. I think they cheated a bit because I'm sure the coffee urn and crockpots were plugged in, but most of the light came from the lanterns. Here is a photo taken while they were still setting up. I can't do anything about the orbs in the picture, but I like to think there were some old-time Confederates enjoying the aromas and sights of so much good food.



This is Ron, our Volunteer Coordinator, who is also Chief Ranger and has a host of other titles.



After eating so much food I could barely walk, I was delighted that Maintenance was providing transportation in the golf carts back to the parking lot. (I had already been driven from the parking lot to the Fort in a cart, but didn't realize they would be available all evening.) The way was lit by lanterns and it is possible to make your way, but I am nervous crossing the two bridges over the moat!

This morning when the dog and I went outside we saw four big deer bounding away from near the front of our site. They are everywhere, and it is necessary to drive the mile back here very slowly because they are grazing on both sides of the road and are just as likely to run across the road in front of you. Just after that, the CG sounded reveille and that woke me up for sure! It's nice to be able to stay in bed an extra hour on my days off, and Lady usually cooperates for the extra hour before yawning, shaking, and licking, right at the foot of my bed.

I made a quick trip to the post office on Tybee Island yesterday at lunch time and picked up some flat-rate mailing boxes, which I loaded with the grandkids presents last night. This morning I will get them in the mail and on their way to California and New York. I can't believe I only have two boxes for all the money I spent!!! I did all my shopping at the Sutler Store and kept size and weight in mind. I have been keeping a list of things I want to buy for myself, but will do that after Christmas since I will need January's money to pay for them.

I will include a link here that gives an idea of what Fort Pulaski is actually like:
http://www.quantumtour.com/entity/pulaski//

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to maneuver in and out of the windows (little flashing circles), but you can get some wonderful 360 degree views of many areas of Ft. P.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Gypsy, Volunteer potlucks are one of my favorite things. They sure beat cooking for one. ;) I'm enjoying your addition of pictures to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you are having a really good time. Keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great setting for a lantern-lit dinner, I'll bet it was good. Be careful crossing that moat, ok, don't want you ending up as gator-bait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lantern lighting sounds very cozy & I'm sure very pleasing to the eye. I would have enjoyed photographing that. Does the bridge over the moat have a troll under the bridge?? If not, maybe I could fill that position as a workamper sometime:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful ambiance for your holiday meal together! Good thing to have a ride back to your RV home with gators in the moat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a grand evening...good food and good company.

    ReplyDelete