Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, December 18, 2009

Can't stay dry today

It rained from the middle of the night until late afternoon today, and was the worst rain I've been in for quite some time. Add to that the really strong winds, and an umbrella was just about useless. But from cold and rainy today, it warmed up when the rain stopped, and now is a very comfortable, balmy sort of temperature.

I worked by myself for most of the day, with Patty stopping in to relieve me for lunch. I had very few customers so I restocked and straightened up what I could, and even built a fire. After a few starts that fizzles out, I collected some candle wax from the candle holders and wadded up a piece of newspaper around it, and then had no trouble keeping the fire going the rest of the day.

On the way back from the Fort this afternoon I saw many egrets near the moat, but what caught my attention was a large and beautiful blue heron. I stopped to admire him, just a few feet away from me, and he obliged by turning a complete 360 degrees so I could get a good look at him, and then took flight. He looked awkward getting into the air, but was very graceful when airborne. This was one of those magical moments to me and I couldn't break the spell by reaching for a camera, so it's one more thing I have to carry in my memory.

With all the time I had on my hands today I tried to familiarize myself with some of the books we offer. Most are so sad they break your heart and you don't have to read very far to become overwhelmed with grief.

Here is a picture of the gift shop at the modern visitors' center, and one of Mary and Sherry, two volunteers, both of whom are RVers as well. Sherry is also a talented seamstress and makes her own period costumes. She generously donated her time and talents to many of the costumes worn at the Candle-light tour.





Here is a shot of the egrets.

4 comments:

  1. Blue Herons are beautiful birds. We have one here that stalks the fish in the little creek not far from us. Congrats on the fire building. It must feel so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice looking gift shop. Blue Herons are wonderful. Maybe you'll get a photo of one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue Herons are beautiful birds - they land in our backyard pond once in a while looking for fish - but, no luck for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have Blue Herons at home as well & they are awkward on the ground, screech like Teradactyl dinosaurs in flight, & are graceful flyers. They build their nests in the tops of tall trees & that has always seemed like quite a feat to me for that size of bird.

    ReplyDelete