Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A little excitement around the Fort!

Yesterday evening I was told the Coast Guard station across the road would be firing machine guns today, but not to worry. I forgot all about it until I heard the rat-tat-tat a little while ago. Today is my cleaning frenzy day - the pace is frenzy because I put everything off for so long. So while waiting for the fridge to completely defrost I thought I would run across the road (in the other direction) to the Park HQ bldg and do some laundry. The gunfire had stopped until I got the laundry basket into my truck and started to leave. I just hope they are aiming at the river or someplace else. I made it safely to the HQ and no sooner had I gotten back out of my truck here at home, the firing started up again. I have set my timer to go back in about half an hour and plan to walk over this time - the machine guns are still being fired although just a little at a time. Maybe some of the CG folks are learning how to fire, or just practicing? Makes life interesting.

Seriously, when I hear of what happened to the Russells and their MH being vandalized and robbed, I am very safely tucked away at Fort Pulaski, gated at night, and with a CG station across the road, and I believe they have a couple of dogs that roam freely at night and are very protective of the area, so I feel safe as I can be.

This defrosting job is such a pain in the neck so I wait until I can't wait any more. Next time I am going to do it before the buildup gets so bad. Now there is water and ice all over the floor, so I will have a clean-up job there as well. I will reward myself tomorrow and go sightseeing with Mary - we plan to drive into Savannah and to the Visitors Center to see what looks good. The forecast is for 72F tomorrow but you never know what will actually occur.

There was no one in the laundry room and the washer & dryer were empty, so I didn't have to wait. It is free for our use, which is a real plus. This is turning out to be a very good place to volunteer.

Just a quick note: I just walked over to check on my laundry and heard the fire, looked up to see a small boat out on the river. The gun is perched on the bow of the boat and they are out on the water doing the firing. WOW! I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

5 comments:

  1. Make sure you are not in the line of fire!!! Lucky you with 72F tomorrow! It is only 17F here right now. Brrrrrrrr and no letup in the forecast. That seldom happens here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check your laundry very closely for bullet holes. Those rascals out on the river might have shot up your laundry bag for target practice. Rascals have been known to do that sort of thing you know:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, I hate that defrosting job. Just did it myself about a week ago. Better duck for cover when you go out next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Defrosting is a piece of cake! Use a hair dryer and it comes right off, Doesn't take more than 10 minutes. We do it ever 2-3 months.
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re the defrosting Gypsy,Luvglass beat me too it with the blow dryer suggestion.I also use a plastic windshield scraper along with it after it starts softening up a bit.

    ReplyDelete