Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I have a job for the summer! (2nd post Dec. 16)

I will be working at the Visitors Center at Dinosaur National Monument, near Jensen, UT, from May 15 through Aug 15. I will work 4 days a week and have 3 days off together each week, so I can get out and explore the area. I think my campsite will be in the cottonwood trees along the Green River, and I will have full hookups - not sure about cell phone or internet access, but I'll deal with it by going into town once a week (sure hope they have coverage there).

I had been waffling about going back to Lassen, but I think it's best that I preserve my lungs from all that dust, especially being a former two-pack a day smoker for a long time. It will also force me to step outside my comfort zone yet another time, which is a good thing to do once in a while. It will give me a month less to spend in Sacramento, so I hope my eye can make it another year before needing cataract surgery. Also, I hope to be able to switch to a smaller RV while in Sacramento. I sure can't continue to deal with this big 5th wheel much longer, especially with arthritis in my hands.

I had a recall notice on the Ford so I took it to a dealer this morning, and then had the repair work done in less than an hour. I had planned to stop at Walmart on the way back but for some reason took the wrong turn and ended up back on the highway. I just drove on to Tybee Island where I looked for a place to get my hair cut, to no avail. I'll leave that for next week.

The drive to and from the Ford dealer was pleasant and it was easy to find my way. I am discovering that Savannah is not difficult to get around in, so far. I love the bridges, small and large, that cross over the numerous creeks and rivers. All the bridges I've seen here gracefully form an arch and they are so beautiful. It reminds me of a dolphin arching into the air and then coming back down to the water. It is amazing that the lines of the bridges are as superbly formed as those of the dolphins - being a coastal city there is a fluid movement and shape to just about everything. How fitting!

I could have saved this for tomorrow's blog, but I'm so keyed up right now that I needed to share it with someone. From volcanos, to the Civil War, and now to dinosaurs! I hope I can continue workamping for a long time and see many more wonderful places in this country.

13 comments:

  1. You're sure finding some interesting places to workkamp! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, Gypsy! Congratulations, sounds like a perfect place and job for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From live gators in the moat to long dead dinosaurs in the rocks. Wow, you go girl............:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on landing yet another dream position in a super location! I'm sure it will all be the greatest!

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulation on your new adventure. I hope you will have WiFi so we can count on your Blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful Gypsy. Congrats...
    Hmmm, maybe we will get that way next summer and look you up..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news on your upcoming position in Utah. You are building up quite a resume for yourself. Soon, they will all be begging for you to come for a particular postition. Utah sounds like a perfect place to learn some new things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome to hear! Congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really happy for you! What an experience to be in different places of the USA. Congrats on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! Sounds like you'll be moving from one interesting job to another!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you Gypsy,I'm sure you will enjoy spending some time in that beautiful area.I feel your excitement from here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had both internet and cell service at the Green River Campground. There is a tower on top of one of the mountains. If my memory serves me right, I didn't even need to use the Wilson antenna.

    Your shopping will be done in Vernal, Utah...about 20 miles away.

    Make sure you take the Colorado side drive soon after you get there to see all the wildflowers in the mountains. Spectacular views....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good going Gypsy! Sounds like a nice gig.

    ReplyDelete