Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, December 4, 2009

Getting used to the job

My second official day on the job went well, and I'm learning the cash register and all the procedures a little at a time. My previous experience was with very basic NCR's that didn't do anything except tally up the proceeds - that's a ridiculous concept these days. I am also learning a bit more each day about the Fort, its history, the stock we carry, etc. I love it, I love it, I love it!

I think I have my costume together although the skirt is so big in the waist I will have to wrap it around and pin it to fit. All those gathers do nothing to flatter hips, no matter what shape or size. I will post pictures taken at the big event, including one of myself if I don't look too outrageous!

It has been drizzling off and on all day, and is chilly. I have taken to carrying my camera with me all the time just in case I run across an alligator. Another volunteer saw the baby and got a photo - you would think a baby gator would look like a baby, but this one just looks like a medium sized one. Evidently there are lots of large fish in the moat, and they only can escape to the river and the sea when certain gates are opened. Thus the gators are a well fed bunch.

One more day to work and then I have a day off. I will drive to the IGA at Tybee Island and plan to take the tour at the Fort of the prison area where 600 Confederate officers were starved to death in a cruel manner. I walked through it on my own a couple of days ago, but the tour will give me a lot more information.

7 comments:

  1. Keep looking for that gator...he has to be there somewhere. Enjoy living with the history there at the Fort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very interesting place to work. Glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are enjoying Gypsy.. sounds very interesting.
    Where did you come up with the skirt. Can't wait for pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let that gator get a hold of your costume or you may have to call for......Gato-aide:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only reason Pulaski made my 'to see' list when I went to Savannah was for the chance to see gators. Didn't see any (pouts), but the visit was still worthwhile.

    You are indeed lucky to be at the store inside the fort instead of the exterior visitors' centre. And you get to wear a costume. *sighs* Some folks get the best jobs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun....you get to play "dress up"

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I can't wait for pictures of the fort, the event and you in the costume. I'm so glad you like it there, may be a yearly workcamp for you.

    ReplyDelete