I decided to post the recipe on the blog. Please keep in mind I haven't tried it since I've been living in my RV, but I don't think it would make any difference I also use hot pepper jack cheese because I like the spicy flavor, but I think any kind would work.
CORNMEAL CHEESE SOUFFLE
Cooking oil spray
2 cups low-fat milk
½ cup cornmeal or quick cooking (not instant) grits
3 tablespoons butter
¼ cup grated jalapeno or plain Jack cheese
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 eggs, separated
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and spray a 1-1/2 quart soufflé dish or straight-sided casserole dish with cooking oil. (I don't have the spray on hand so I just wipe the dish with a paper towel & a small amt of cooking oil)
2. In a double boiler, heat the milk until it is almost boiling.
3. Add the cornmeal/grits and the butter. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes a thick batter.
4. Remove from the heat; beat in the cheese, cumin, pepper, and egg yolks.
5. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the cornmeal mixture into the whites and pour the batter into the prepared dish.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
Yield: 4 servings
(From the cookbook “Corn” by Olwen Woodier)
OLD IS NEW AGAIN
10 hours ago