Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, November 9, 2009

Souffle-2nd post Monday Nov 9

I decided to post the recipe on the blog. Please keep in mind I haven't tried it since I've been living in my RV, but I don't think it would make any difference I also use hot pepper jack cheese because I like the spicy flavor, but I think any kind would work.

CORNMEAL CHEESE SOUFFLE

Cooking oil spray
2 cups low-fat milk
½ cup cornmeal or quick cooking (not instant) grits
3 tablespoons butter
¼ cup grated jalapeno or plain Jack cheese
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 eggs, separated

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and spray a 1-1/2 quart soufflé dish or straight-sided casserole dish with cooking oil. (I don't have the spray on hand so I just wipe the dish with a paper towel & a small amt of cooking oil)

2. In a double boiler, heat the milk until it is almost boiling.

3. Add the cornmeal/grits and the butter. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes a thick batter.

4. Remove from the heat; beat in the cheese, cumin, pepper, and egg yolks.

5. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the cornmeal mixture into the whites and pour the batter into the prepared dish.

6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.

Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
(From the cookbook “Corn” by Olwen Woodier)

No comments:

Post a Comment