Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, April 12, 2012

East Des Moines (Altoona) Iowa

I have been driving in rain almost all day, much of it torrential. Fortunately there wasn't any traffic on the road until I got to Lincoln & Omaha, NE, and most of the way through Iowa. I am so tired I think I will close the curtain and fall asleep before it even gets dark outside!

I have spent a total of $6 for coffee so far this trip, but I have now run out of food. Since the motel is next to a Flying J, I decided to walk over and see what I might be able to find to bring back to my room. Nothing! Adjacent to Flying J is a Max's Diner. When I passed it on the way over I got an earache from the loud 70's/80's rock blaring through a loudspeaker. Since I couldn't get anything to eat at Flying J, I wandered into the diner and ordered a senior hamburger. I rarely buy a hamburger, preferring to know where the beef came from and what, if anything is in it, but about once a year I usually break down, especially on a long trip. (I sincerely hope there is no pink slime added.) While I was waiting for my order I was still subjected to the same rock that is playing outside, toned down a bit, but also TV screens in every direction. So the visual garbage on TV, plus the audio crap playing over the loudspeaker, made me glad I could just grab the food and go as soon as the order was ready. Sorry, but I don't like to see TV images in a restaurant (or even a bar, for that matter), and I don't really care for someone else picking their choice of music to blast out.

That rain today really has my nerves frazzled, so I won't take any more chances on saying something I shouldn't. The hamburger was pretty good, by the way.

7 comments:

  1. Yep, know what you mean by the television & blaring music stuff. It's OK if it's my music I want to blare but don't let anybody else blare their music noise while I'm around....or else!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy that sounds like a tiring day. I've always wondered why folks think everyone else wants to listen to their music. And now with the "outdoor entertainment centers" on RVs, if you sit outside on your own patio you may have to hear the football game next door. That's a big reason why I love boondocking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate driving in the rain. Any possibility of staying in a town to wait out the rain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get some rest and listen to some soothing blue grass music and you will be as good as new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Driving in the rain is also one of my least favorite things to do. Sounds like it was a good idea to get the food to go:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to lol about DDs 'soothing' bluegrass music..
    Hate those things too. I bar tended once while i was unemployed (loved it) and my rule was,,NO TV!! stay home if you want it! Big sports games were the exception.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you found a nice soft spot to land for the night... off the road and away from the blaring music. Many today's travels be much better!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete