Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Easy Saturday

I hope I'm back on track with my sleeping patterns now - I woke up at 8 am which is perfect for me.  Now I won't have to nap today.

I mentioned that my granddaughter found her dream job, and I suppose I should elaborate a little on it.  In the first year after her graduation from college she worked with autistic adults, and found that she loved it and was very good at it.  Since moving to Philadelphia last summer she has had trouble finding something she really loved at a salary she could live on.

She will be working at a camp for autistic adults as a "housemother" with three (I think) adults in her charge.  She will live there and be on call 24/7 for 3 days a week, and then off 4 days, and is hoping she will have some time to devote to artistic endeavors that she might also get income from.  

This job will also allow her to attend seminars and add to her resume, and she is doing something she really loves.  You can't beat that!

Speaking of grandchildren, I have to laugh when the little ones are over to visit.  When one of them uses the bathroom I can hear them singing the ABC song - "a-b-c-d-e-f-g", etc.  I guess it's a way to make sure they spend enough time washing their hands which is pretty clever.  The two older ones who are in school no longer sing aloud, but the 3 younger ones sing heartily!

I ended up buying an 8-pc stackable storage set (plastic bins) for my maps and such.  They are much bigger than shoe boxes and I've already sorted and put my maps in 3 different boxes, got out my labeler, and have the labels printed and applied.  Now to tackle the rest of the room, which I'm not looking forward to as it's a small room to begin with and contains camping gear that takes up a lot of space.  I also have a large desk and comfy executive office chair in there.  I still would like to have another bookshelf, but I'm not going to pay a whole lot for a cheap one - I'd like to find a cheap one for a good cheap price!

I got my rent bill yesterday and nearly fell over!  The rent has gone up a few dollars but the utilities are way more than I've paid for a long time.  I think when I came home from the hospital I decided to run the heating more hours, and indeed I needed to.  Now I'm trying to just get along with my small Lazko heater which I move around to wherever I am in the house.  I also dress in layers and add and subtract according to how warm or cold I am.

The rain yesterday evening was awful.  When I was getting ready to go to bed I noticed a whole lot of water under the swamp cooler.  I know the unit on the roof is covered tightly, but I guess with the wind and rain it just got through somehow.  We had a tornado warning yesterday evening, about 6:30 pm.  It kind of rattled me because I don't associate tornados with this part of the country, and I'm not going anywhere for shelter but will take my chances here in my home.  The announcement did say that residents of mobile homes should seek shelter elsewhere.  I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't had the TV on, so I guess there is a good reason to have TV service.

Now the sun is out and the streets are dry, but there is rain predicted for later on as well as for the next week.  Even so, the forecasters are saying this won't affect the drought all that much.  I don't understand why it wouldn't affect it - the local channel says that Folsom Lake rose by a foot of water, and now we will have the snowmelt in the spring and early summer.  I'm glad I don't live in Southern CA where the surrounding hills and mountains were burned out, making landslides likely.  That would be just too cruel to need rain that would end up causing a possible loss of your home.

It's 10:30am and I guess I shouldn't sit around in pj's and bathrobe all day, so I'll just wish y'all a good weekend wherever you are.

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you solved your storage problem - aren't label makers great? I love mine!

    Isn't there a solid building there on the grounds that you could go to in an emergency? I've never heard of a tornado in that area, either, but if it was suggested to leave my mobile home, I'd sure find somewhere to go.

    When I lived in my condo I used to do the same thing in the winter. I had a space heater near my desk chair and it was always on when I was there if it was cold. Otherwise I dressed warmly and snuggled in my recliner with Katie and a nice warm blanket. If that didn't work, then I would turn up the heat a little. Those heating bills can be killers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the laundry room near you? It should be a solid buildng, and you no doubt would be with some neighbors.

    I gave my sister an electric throw blanket and she loves it on cold nights. She gets in her favorite chair and puts it over her for a warm cozy night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Ara's choice of profession is just wonderful. You must be so proud of her. There is such a need for people to work with the handicapped and the pay is usually unfairly low given the responsibility and importance of the job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE got the rain we wanted and needed but they could have kept the damaging winds away.


    Getting the storage done makes me happy to see the clutter gone

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE got the rain we wanted and needed but they could have kept the damaging winds away.


    Getting the storage done makes me happy to see the clutter gone

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to have those maps organized and labeled. I heard on the news that California would need several storms with lots of rain before the drought would even start to go away. I just feel bad for those folks with the mud. In Montana with all the record snow creating avalanches. I also heard about your tornado warning and I couldn't believe it. Just doesn't happen up you way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the Weather Channel heard about all the rain in your area, stay safe.

    Glad your granddaughter landed her dream job. Very few people can say that. I for one have never found one and at this stage of my life doubt I ever will.

    Our electric bill has been outrageous these past two months even more than our summer bills!

    ReplyDelete